Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is dark and completely unresponsive...  (Read 3488 times)

danann

Topic Starter

Computer is dark and completely unresponsive...
    « on: October 18, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
    Monitor went blank.

Nothing responds, including the power button.  CD doors won't open.  When I attempted to reboot by pulling the plug and restarting it, the router light indicating the computers connected goes out as soon as the power goes on to the PC.  :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer is dark and completely unresponsive...
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
    More info might help.

What if anything preceeded this?  How long computer in use.  What OS version? (SP2, SP3).  Recent changes?

Right now sounds like a near total failure of PSU.  Normally CD drawer would open as soon as power comes on - plus of course a power LED.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

danann

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
      Ok...

The situation occurred while a game program was on - Bridge Baron, which has a fairly minimal graphics and sound requirement.  Computer had seemed a bit slower of late, but no other oddities that I noticed.

Computer has been in use fairly constantly since purchase in November 2002.  Operating system is Windows XP, not sure what service pack.  I have been doing the recommended updates from Microsoft and had installed the latest update in the morning.  No other recent changes.

Not sure what a PSU is...power source unit?

Thanks much for your help.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
      Sorry yes - "Power Supply Unit".

If no major warning signs then does seem possible the PSU has a major problem.  6 years is quite a time for a machine too.

If you have had updates then probably SP2 is on at least and anyways - sounds like that may not matter too much even if a very recent update added.

If the puter/PSU runs as an ATX (the sort that powers down after system shutdown) then that too may be behind the problem - either due to PSU not responding to the power button push - assuming that in itself is fault-free.

So - subject to other's comments I still feel the PSU is your failure causing the problem, unless I forgot something else.  I am trying to remember if PSU units have any fuze that could blow - right now I think not from what I have used over the years.
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!