Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with GeForce 6800 GS video card driver?  (Read 13734 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Problem with GeForce 6800 GS video card driver?
    « on: November 22, 2008, 08:16:51 AM »
    Hey,

I've got an interesting problem here that i'm not sure how to deal with.

So i finally got a new PSU so i could use my GeForce 6800 GS video card. I got everything installed, it worked fine, and then i downloaded the driver for it. Now when i try to start up the computer i get as far as the black windows xp loading screen and then my monitor shuts down. What i mean, of course, is that the monitor acts like there's no signal being sent to it. It recognizes it's plugged into a video card, because when you unplug it it says "check signal cable". It's just acting like there's nothing being sent to it.

When i take out the video card and plug the monitor into the built-in video card it starts up fine. It's just when I use my GeForce 6800 GS.

I know the card does work, because before the driver was installed everything was fine.

I downloaded it from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html
    I also tried to uninstall it but i'm not entirely sure how to do that right now
    Any ideas?

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Problem with GeForce 6800 GS video card driver?
      « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
      Further problem.
      I have Ubuntu Linux on an external hdd so i thought i'd plug it into my computer and try it on that.
      Everything was fine, it automatically found the drivers, i downloaded them, it even started up, but the only resolutions i can use are 640 x 480 or 320 x 240 which is ridiculous.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
      Is this a new card ? ?
      If so use the drivers that shipped with it instead of a DLoad...
      New drivers are not always better drivers.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »
        Unfortunately it's not, i got it from a friend who had it spare from something. I just have the card

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
        Ask him to track down the install CD...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:52:18 PM »
          Sorry, should have put that better. It's been passed around a bit, and he doesn't have the cd either, which is why i didn't get that from him.

I've been trying to reinstall it, hoping that's the case, but i can't find where to uninstall the driver. The display adapter that shows up in device manager is for the built in video card since i can't have the GeForce card plugged in and enter windows.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
          It won't show up in device manager if the device isn't installed.

you'll need to create an environment variable- DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES in

System Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables , with the value of 1.

and then your geforce should be revealed in device manager when you select the "Show Hidden Devices" option in the view menu.

Try Installing an older version of the Forceware Drivers.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
            Alright, i left this for a while as i didn't have as much use for the video card and other more important things came up,

I now need the card again though and i'm still having these problems.

BC_Programmer, i gotta tell ya, i'm really not sure what that means, never done it. I'll try and figure it out but i'm assuming that's just to help me uninstall it and i think i've found a way.

So here's a new development: The available resolutions had to do with a very old monitor i was using. I recently got a new lcd and it works perfectly in linux with the video card.
            I was also able to log into windows safe mode.
            The only thing i can't do is log into windows normally with the video card
            Since the video card has a dvi plug as well i got a converter and the same thing happened. It worked up to the loading screen and then stopped.

Any suggestions?
            anyone know where to get an older driver that might work? (Edit: found older drivers on same site as original, will test out)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:02 AM »
              Update: I've got it uninstalled and i tried ForceWare Release 90 Version: 94.24. (An older driver). Same problem

Also, here's something you might end up hating me for. It's not exactly a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS. It's actually a PNY Verto Geforce 6800 GS. When i originally searched online for it I just got results for Nvidia and thought it must have been the same thing.
              Really it practically is. The driver looks exactly the same, from Nvidia, only it didn't work either.
              It was different, though. When i installed it the driver just plain didn't seem to work. It still showed up as unknown in device manager. So i tried to manually install the driver by updating and selecting the driver for it, but 6800 gs wasn't there. It had things like 6800 gt, or just plain 6800, i ended up trying 6800 series gpu.
              By doing that i once again had the same problem as before.

So it's possible the problem is that i've never actually had the right driver installed.

I'm trying to find it from somewhere else, i'd, of course, take any other suggestions as well.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »
                OK, it's possible i just unfortunately solved my own problem.
                I was using everest and i noticed agp supported speeds and it said 1x, 2x, 4x.
                From what i've been able to see from google this video card is 8x.

First off is there another way to find out my supported agp speeds?
                and second, although i doubt it, is there anything i can do if all this is correct?

Edit: I've done some google searching and it says (for 8x in a 4x slot in general) that it should run, just at 4x speeds. So if that's true i'm still trying to find a driver that's going to work for me
                « Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:56:18 AM by Anythingwill »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
                it should work, if the card was designed for it; most support at least two speeds.

as for your drivers; you could try PNY's drivers, here:

http://www3.pny.com/support/support_landing_subcat.aspx?SectionID=1116&RootSectionID=1113&TypeID=5

as for the reference to environment variables, I don't think it will be necessary. Sorry if I confused you.

Keep us posted!
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
                  Unfortunately that's the one that didn't install properly.
                  I go through the setup and it asks me to restart, and when windows logs back in it still doesn't recgonise the video card.
                  I then try to update the driver from what i downloaded/installed but it doesn't have 6800 gs. It has ones like 6800 gt or 6800 ultra, just not 6800 gs. So i tried the driver for 6800 series gpu and just plain 6800, but i ran into the same blank screen problem on start up.
                  « Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:42:37 PM by Anythingwill »

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
                    No other ideas?
                    Here, maybe this idea is too far out, but Ubuntu automatically found a driver that worked. Is there any way to find out information about what the driver is so i could find the xp version. Or basically anything along those lines?

When i go to hardware drivers (in Ubuntu) it says it's a proprietary driver and just says "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (latest cards)"

Super Dave

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
                    I'm pretty sure that this will fix your problem.

I did a brand new install of WinXP SP3 with my radeon 9200 (junk) card and my 6800 GS installed.  The radeon did great with all the resolutions available and drivers.  However the 6800 GS only gave me 640 x 480 resolution with 4 colors.

The solution:
                    download and install freeware: driversweeper at: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

uninstall all drivers from control panel - add remove - choose nvidia drivers
                    go to device manager and uninstall the drivers -
                    run driversweeper and choose the removal of NVIdia drivers

reboot into safemode

I installed older drivers: 94.81  however you should be able to use the newest ones at this point.  If the new drivers don't work then fall back on the older ones.  Just follow the same procedure to remove all drivers before installing more drivers.

After this, i rebooted normally and the 6800 gs worked fine, but the Radeon was out to lunch.  I allowed the system to come up all the way and rebooted one more time and then the Radeon woke up and started just fine.

Hope this helps.  I pulled many hairs out trying to figure this one out.  I almost gave in and bought a newer AGP card, but I really really dont want to upgrade this PC.  Just need to build a PCI-E mobo.

Super Dave

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
                      « Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
                      hey it could be your tower power supply is not large enough to supply power to the card. 500 watts or above for most modern cards my friends card did the same. he got a larger power supply and shazam it works perfect...
                      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)