Hardware > Hardware

Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation

<< < (8/9) > >>

scadgirl007:

--- Quote from: BC_Programmer on November 25, 2008, 10:33:30 AM ---you would need to perform a clean install- you would lose all program settings via that method. On the other hand, it should boot properly.
--- End quote ---
  Losing setting is not a big concern for me.  The desktop was used mainly through college as a workstation. (I wouldn't hook it up to the internet so that I could sit down and concentrate on assignments! ;) )

--- Quote from: BC_Programmer on November 25, 2008, 10:33:30 AM ---You will also need to acquire the drivers for your motherboard,graphics... and most importantly, your network interface card.
--- End quote ---
My motherboard is a Delta Series K7N2, MS-6570; The manual states it's version 1.3, G52-M6570XA-L03. I have a disc titled "NForce Platform Drivers & Utilities."  I think that is it.  The website for my motherboard: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2-L&class=mb   Once everything is installed, I will choose the live update version to flash the BIOS.

As of 9:20PM EST, I am starting to install the Pro.  Will let you know how it goes.

As always, thank you kindly for the assistance!

UPDATE:  I don't know what it going on.  There is something wrong; I am getting a lot of errors associated with the installation process.
1) Setup was unable to verify drive C:. Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files.  I clicked ENTER to continue with the installation.
2) Setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab
3) Setup cannot copy the file: netsetup.exe
4) Setup cannot copy the file: layout.inf
5) Setup cannot copy the file: ntfs.sys
6) Setup cannot copy the file: ntprint.inf
And all of this with and authentic, store-bought copy of XP Pro.  :( 

It said that it completed installation successfully, but then when the computer restarts, the following error shows up: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

I feel like an old car with a broken axl stuck in the mud during a torrential downpour.  My back-up installation for XP Home turned out to be missing files, then my authentic XP Pro also has missing files.  And it's not even like I can get support for XP any longer.  I don't have the money to upgrade my computer to run Vista.  Just don't.  :'(

UPDATE 2: I did a manual browse of the CD.  The files are there!  I can't figure out why the computer can't access them for set up.

scadgirl007:
 ???IDEA:  Could it possibly work to copy the i386 folder from my current Win XP Pro installation and just use that in conjunction with the XP Pro install disc since it can't read?  I'm just brainstorming to create some sort of solution...

BC_Programmer:
an i386 folder isn't installed with an XP installation. If it exists on your drive- it was likely placed there at some point manually.

scadgirl007:
The copy error information on the XP CD said to manually transfer it if there are files having trouble transferring.

I've tried to install 3 times from the XP Pro disc.  It won't work either.  I got the furthest with the XP Home disc, because I could at least get to the part where it would ask me to select the language before it would have copy file error.

Is there anything I can do to save this desktop?  My brain nearly exploding over this issue.

JJ 3000:

--- Quote from: scadgirl007 on November 25, 2008, 07:25:26 PM ---

UPDATE:  I don't know what it going on.  There is something wrong; I am getting a lot of errors associated with the installation process.
1) Setup was unable to verify drive C:. Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files.  I clicked ENTER to continue with the installation.
2) Setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab
3) Setup cannot copy the file: netsetup.exe
4) Setup cannot copy the file: layout.inf
5) Setup cannot copy the file: ntfs.sys
6) Setup cannot copy the file: ntprint.inf
And all of this with and authentic, store-bought copy of XP Pro.  :( 

I can't figure out why the computer can't access them for set up.

--- End quote ---

I've had this problem before. It turned out that the CD drive was dirty. I just swapped it out with  a good CD drive and the install went smoothly. Seeing as how the DVD drive is brand new you should set that as the master and try and install from that new drive. Make sure you are grounded before touching any internal components!
It could also be that your CD is dirty or scratched. Give it a look, and if it looks bad polish it.
Trust me this will work.

This might also be why the repair failed.

The problem started when you decide to install that new drive. Are you absolutley positve that you did not get your two hard drives confused? Could you have accidentally placed the slave HD in the master position?

Did you try this?
--- Quote from: JJ 3000 on November 25, 2008, 04:42:55 AM ---Try this, set your operating system hard drive as master and plug it into the primary IDE controller without a slave. Set your CD drive as master and connect it to the secondary IDE controller witout a slave. Now you should just have one hard drive and one CD drive connected to your motherboard. Can you boot into windows now? Can you do a repair now?

--- End quote ---
I know this is a moot point, now that you have formatted your hard drive, but I would like to know if you even tried that suggestion before you wiped out your hard drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version