Software > Computer viruses and spyware

Please help! My pc is so slow

(1/2) > >>

ajamj:
My computer has been running very slow. It sometimes takes 5 minutes for IE to open and each new window takes just as long.  Other programs also seem to take forever to open and if I have several things open (Outlook and IE, for example) it may take even longer. I had thought that maybe all the junk my kids had downloaded was the problem, but they both left home recently and I removed all their files. No help.

Windows XP Home Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Gateway
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz
256 MB of RAM

My logs are attatched, however my daughter used the computer in between steps 2 and 3. Don't know if it matters.

Thank you so very much!

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

evilfantasy:
Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall:
Ask.com
Ask Toolbar

or anything with Ask in the name.

----------

Open HijackThis and select Do a system scan only.

Place a check mark next to the following entries: (if there)

- R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {0579B4B6-0293-4d73-B02D-5EBB0BA0F0A2} - C:\Program Files\AskSBar\SrchAstt\1.bin\A2SRCHAS.DLL
- O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
- O2 - BHO: Ask Search Assistant BHO - {0579B4B1-0293-4d73-B02D-5EBB0BA0F0A2} - C:\Program Files\AskSBar\SrchAstt\1.bin\A2SRCHAS.DLL
- O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
- O2 - BHO: (no name) - {891B76B0-D49C-4D9B-BCB3-40C919F5FD62} - (no file)
- O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {F0D4B231-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - (no file)
- O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - (no file)
- O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
- O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
- O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.adobe.com
- O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.drewdavisband.com
- O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.turbotax.com
- O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} -
- O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - (no CLSID) - (no file)
- O20 - Winlogon Notify: ssqomlm - ssqomlm.dll (file missing)
- O23 - Service: McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0038321227012829) (0038321227012829mcinstcleanup) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\003832~1.EXE (file missing)
- O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

Important: Close all windows except for HijackThis and then click Fix checked.

Exit HijackThis.

----------

Download the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) to your Desktop.

Once downloaded please close ALL open browsers, also save any work because this may require a restart.
[*] Go to your desktop and double click on the removal tool and then click Setup.
[*] Once open Click Next
[*] Accept the license agreement and click Next
[*] Type in the letters/numbers that you see into the text box then click Next.
[*] Then click Next and the tool will start running.
[*] Once finished restart the PC and run the tool again to ensure everything has been removed.
[*]Delete Nortonremoval tool from your Desktop.[/list]

----------

Download Disable/Remove Windows Messenger to the Desktop to remove Windows Messenger.

Do not confuse Windows Messenger with MSN Messenger because they are not the same. Windows Messenger is a frequent cause of popups.

Unzip the file on the Desktop. Open the MessengerDisable.exe and choose the bottom box - Uninstall Windows Messenger and click Apply.

Exit out of MessengerDisable then delete the two files that were put on the Desktop.

Run CCleaner and restart the computer.

----------

Download ComboFix© by sUBs from one of the below links. Be sure top save it to the Desktop.

Link #1
Link #2

**Note:  It is important that it is saved directly to your Desktop

Close any open Web browsers. (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) before starting ComboFix.

Temporarily disable your antivirus, and any antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.

Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

For Windows XP Systems install the Recovery Console:

- If you are using Windows XP and do not already have the Recovery Console installed, please ensure your Internet connection is active (if possible) and click Yes.
- If for some reason your Internet is not working click No.
- If you are not using Windows XP, you will not be prompted.
- When prompted to accept the EULA click OK.
- Accept Microsoft's EULA (Click Yes).
- When you are told that the RC is installed correctly click YES to continue scanning for malware.

When finished ComboFix will produce a log for you.
Post the ComboFix log and a new HijackThis log in your next reply.

Important: Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

Remember to re-enable your antivirus and antispyware protection when ComboFix is complete.

evilfantasy:
-modest-

Welcome to CH.

As you can see this is a virus related issue and not just regular maintenance.

Please read this thread: Would you like to learn to fight malware?

Again, Welcome...

cwayneu:
And after you take care of your virus issue, buy some more RAM. I do not even try to run Windows with less than 1GB. Windows is a memory hog and loves to eat it. 256MB is just a snack for Windows. You will get a lot of trashing on your system page/swap file, (slow disk I/O) which can slow your system way down.

Even with 1 and 1/2 to 2GB on all my systems, I still use IOBit's Advanced SystemCare SmartRAM utility. Windows is terrible about not freeing up RAM that should be on your free memory list. It is a great freeware tuneup package for adware, registry, disk defragger, privacy, etc.  I run it once a week on all my systems. The first time scan found and fixed dozens of potential issues. Just pick any download site listed in the middle column and wait for the dialog box to pop up.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927

Good luck.

ajamj:
Here are the new logs.

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version