Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How hot is too hot?  (Read 31037 times)

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: How hot is too hot?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »
Ok, I tried it and the CPU temp went up to about 95 degrees celcius for both cores and CPU usage went up to 100% and then dropped back down quite fast after i closed the calculators

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
This is a socket 775 cooler, right? Do you have any experience installing these coolers and applying thermal paste? I still think your cooler isn't mounted properly

If I were you I'd unhook it, remove the mainboard, put the mainboard on something soft (IE: Cardboard)Clean the CPU heatspreader and the heatsink with cleaning alcohol and reapply the thermal paste. Make sure that you wipe the alcohol off with a lint-free cloth otherwise you'll scratch the polished metal.

Inspect the CPU cooler for damage and mount it according to instructions.

But it'd probably be better to have someone with more experience look at it and judge your work.. Or possibly do it him/herself.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »
I went through the manual and found where to control the cpu fan speed from the BIOS and i turned it to performance mode which sets the fan at the highest speed.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
This is a socket 775 cooler, right? Do you have any experience installing these coolers and applying thermal paste? I still think your cooler isn't mounted properly

If I were you I'd unhook it, remove the mainboard, put the mainboard on something soft (IE: Cardboard)Clean the CPU heatspreader and the heatsink with cleaning alcohol and reapply the thermal paste. Make sure that you wipe the alcohol off with a lint-free cloth otherwise you'll scratch the polished metal.

Inspect the CPU cooler for damage and mount it according to instructions.

But it'd probably be better to have someone with more experience look at it and judge your work.. Or possibly do it him/herself.
I mounted it the way the CPU manual said to and ive double and triple checked it and its on all the way.

I know a person who could look at it but he lives 25 miles away so maybe i could call him and have him come look at it in a day or two.

Raptor

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »
Your processor is probably still under warranty but you could possibly damage it if you continue using it like this. And I'm not sure if Intel can tell what caused the warranty to void..

I'd wait for the guy if he's got the experience and know-how.

At what RPM did your fans spin when the processor was at 100% in our last test?

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
It didn't say or i didn't see it. The fan speed thats shown in the BIOS is about 1740 RPM when its idling
The warranty to send it bak to newegg where i got from has expired but i don't don't know about the intel one.

Raptor

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
It didn't say or i didn't see it.
The warranty to send it bak to newegg where i got from has expired but i don't don't know about the intel one.

I don't know how warranty works in the US so I can't help you there.

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
The fan speed thats shown in the BIOS is about 1740 RPM when its idling

What country r u from?

Raptor

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
The fan speed thats shown in the BIOS is about 1740 RPM when its idling

What country r u from?

Europe. Yes, that's not a country but to give you an idea warranty-wise, it'll do. ;)

1700RPM when idle is fine. The default settings of the BIOS should automatically make it spin faster so that is probably not the problem. (Assuming you did not change the default settings)

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »
I did but i can always change it back again.

Raptor

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
I did but i can always change it back again.

Well, I'd kind of recommend against using the computer until it's had a thorough check-up by a professional...

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
Ok, i will have the person look at it.

Raptor

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
Ok, i will have the person look at it.

I know someone with the same motherboard, I can ask him if I can rummage through his BIOS to see if I can replicate the problem in the coming days. (If the problem isn't with the mounted cooler)

Mind mentioning the changes you made to your BIOS so I can jot 'm down?

joevh09

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
I have changed a lot of them so if you could it would be easier if you could tell me which ones are necessary since your friends computer probably has different hardware.

Raptor

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »
I have changed a lot of them so if you could it would be easier if you could tell me which ones are necessary since your friends computer probably has different hardware.

You're not overclocking the processor or memory by any chance are you?
If you say you changed 'a lot' maybe you should revert it back to its default settings and test it one more time...

Man, I hate not being able to sit behind a computer and fixing it myself.