Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor Mini Won't Install  (Read 6115 times)

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

Maxtor Mini Won't Install
    « on: February 04, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »
    After my first post about my Maxtor external drive not responding, I took their advice and returned it for another. I've tried to install it three times and every time I got the same result. The software seems to be installing as I watch the green bars advance to the end. Then I get this.....Error 1920. Service Maxtor Sync Service (Maxtor Sync Services) Failed To Start. Verify that you have Sufficient Privileges To Start System Services
         The drive is a Maxtor One Touch 4 Mini (250 GB) and my desktop is an HP running Windows XP Home with all service packs and updates installed. I've checked my user accounts and the only one listed is the owner and is marked administrator. I've been to the Maxtor website and their tech support is a joke! I'm wondering if there are remnants of the first installation screwing things up but have not found any. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.
         I Googled "Error 1920" and got a bunch of ads for registry clean up products. I ran my own Registry Mechanic and it didn't help. Any ideas????????????
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:41:10 AM by fordee9r »

daryy

Re: Maxtor Mini Won't Install
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:43:29 AM »
    I make sure this good idea! ::)

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:33 AM »
    From Control Panel, open Administrative Tools. Open Services. Scroll down to Removable Storage.

If it is listed in "startup type" column as "disabled", select it and in the Action menu open Properties. On the first tab, in the middle is "startup type". Change it to "automatic" and click "apply". Reboot.

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
      Thanks! I'll try it and let you know..........

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
        OK, I followed your steps, and when I got to "start up type", it was marked "MANUALnot "disabled". I changed it to "automatic", clicked apply and restarted the computer. During start up a box came up stating "Could Not Find Easy Manage" which is a reference to the Maxtor Manager.
              Once start up was complete I went back to control panel and the "Removable Storage" was still listed as "Automatic" I plugged in the drive and autoinstall began. It ran almost to completion and I still got the same error message (see original post). Instead of clicking "Ignore" and continue, I aborted the installation and was told no changes were made to the system.
             With the "could not find" box coming up during reboot, wouldn't that indicate remnants of the original installation still hanging around? Could that be corrupting the new install? I'm confused!!!!  ???

xcharge50

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
          *I've checked my user accounts and the only one listed is the owner and is marked administrator*
          Do you use a admin account or a limited?

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
          OK, I followed your steps, and when I got to "start up type", it was marked "MANUALnot "disabled". I changed it to "automatic", clicked apply and restarted the computer. During start up a box came up stating "Could Not Find Easy Manage" which is a reference to the Maxtor Manager.
                Once start up was complete I went back to control panel and the "Removable Storage" was still listed as "Automatic" I plugged in the drive and autoinstall began. It ran almost to completion and I still got the same error message (see original post). Instead of clicking "Ignore" and continue, I aborted the installation and was told no changes were made to the system.
               With the "could not find" box coming up during reboot, wouldn't that indicate remnants of the original installation still hanging around? Could that be corrupting the new install? I'm confused!!!!  ???

I take it you have uninstalled the Maxtor program using Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel? Deleted any Maxtor folders under C:\Program Files?

Also C:Documents and settings\all users\application data\ -  delete the maxtor folder.

I Googled "Error 1920" and got a bunch of ads for registry clean up products.

Google for "Error 1920. Service Maxtor Sync Service (Maxtor Sync Services) Failed To Start"

Scroll down past the advertising results for reg cleaners and the like.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=Error+1920.+Service+Maxtor+Sync+Service+(Maxtor+Sync+Services)+Failed+To+Start&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »
          Haven't we had a few Maxtor Mini issues these past few weeks ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fordee9r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
            Thanks to all of you for taking an interest in my problem :) Rather than reply to each of you, I'll explain what I did. I still suspected the software sent with my original drive was corrupt (that's why I returned it) and remnants remained. I had used ADD_REMOVE programs and used the Explore option of My Computer and found nothing. I decided to use SEARCH of all files & folders for "Maxtor". I don't know where it was hidden but the main folder and three subfolders came up. I deleted the main folder and all disappeared! ;D After rebooting, I tried another install and it went through all the way to registering the drive!
                 I tried a backup & nothing happened.  :-[ I tried a back up called "Safety Drill" which is supposed to backup the complete C drive but got "Image created with errors"  >:( I checked the Backup Log and it showed zero bites recorded. Unless someone has some ideas, I guess I'll have to spend time this weekend trying to get through to Maxtor Support.  >:(