Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost internet and network after graphics card install  (Read 34917 times)

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Lost internet and network after graphics card install
    « on: February 26, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »
    ok, i cant figure this one out and have spent the last 3 hours scouring the internet and trying different things but to no avail
    I currently have 2 systems side by side. This one i am on now is windows xp media, the one next to me that has the problem is windows xp.
    I was upgrading my video card from an nvidia 5200 to a visiontek agp x1300. Had a couple problems doing that but figured everything out no problem, except i cant connect to internet and my network is not showing up. First thing i tried just to make sure cable wasn't bad was i switched the network cables and had same problem only on that computer. After reading on the internet which i can access using this computer i managed to find out i have no network connection present. No matter what i try i cannot bring it back. I've tried the network connection manager. tried winsockxpfix, tried several other things and i'm lost.......I need serious help please. ???

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Lost internet and network after graphics card install
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »
    Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
    Power them back on.
    Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
    Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
    cmd
    Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
    Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
    cmd
    Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
    netsh int ip reset reset.log
    Hit Enter.
    Type in:
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
    Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
    Restart computer, and check again.

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:09:51 PM »
      first of all thank you for the help.
      I just did all that and nothing worked. I think the problem happened when i deleted the drivers for the nvivia card, but i dont think that would make sense...?
      Anyway, I'm the type that likes to stick with a problem until it gets fixed, but unless you have any tricks up your sleeve i think i might go buy a pci network card tomorrow. Do you think that will work?
      Another question i have is i was thinking about wiping everything clean with a fresh xp install. I do not have the disk but the system is an hp and i have the recovery console on drive :d, do you recommend that and would that fix the problem?
      thanks a bunch

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:55 PM »
      Reinstall would be little bit extreme at this moment.
      Any errors regarding network adapter in Device Manager?
      Did you try to reinstall network adapter driver?

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »
        no errors, but i did try to reinstall the network drivers.  It tells the original drivers are stored in c:\hp\drivers\lan, but i already know that as i am in that folder and try to install by using the install.exe. Then it tells me to install the driver through the device manager, which i tried but either it wont let me or i dont know what im doing at that point. But there definitely is no network connection in device manager.

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:46:03 AM »
          Also, in device manager i now have 3 pci devices listed under other devices.....and i cant  install the network drivers because there is no network device listed in device manager.....
          very frustrating

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
            well, im doing some more reading trying to figure this out and booted into safe mode. I can see network adapters in device manager (cannot see any when booted normal). There are 8 listed.
            1. direct parallel
            2. realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic-packet scheduler
            3. wan miniport (atw)
            4. wan miniport (ip)
            5. wan miniport (ip) - packet scheduler miniport
            6. wan miniport (L2tp)
            7. wan miniport (ppoe)
            8. wan miniport (pptp)

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »
            Download, and install Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
            Open it, click Computer, then Summary.
            In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
            Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
            Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
              Also, i dont know if this is important but i noticed something in the startup folder called mod_sm......i've never seen that before...

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »
                now when i booted up normal that file is gone, so i guess it was some type of moddified startup when booting safe mode

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
                  so what do you think...any ideas to fix this?

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
                  Did you read my last reply?

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »
                    shoot...i dont know how i missed that....doing it now

king244

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
                      --------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                          Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                          Report Type                                       Quick Report
                          Computer                                          ED
                          Generator                                         Owner
                          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
                          Date                                              2009-02-28
                          Time                                              00:05

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                            OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
                            DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
                            Computer Name                                     ED
                            User Name                                         Owner

Motherboard:
                            CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
                            Motherboard Name                                  Asus P4SD-LA  (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
                            Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Springdale-G i865G
                            System Memory                                     2048 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
                            BIOS Type                                         AMI (11/19/03)
                            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
                            Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
                            Video Adapter                                     VisionTek RADEON X1300XT Secondary  (256 MB)
                            Video Adapter                                     VisionTek RADEON X1300XT  (256 MB)
                            3D Accelerator                                    ATI RV530 VE
                            Monitor                                           ViewSonic VP191b  [19" LCD]  (A1W050523483)

Multimedia:
                            Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
                            IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
                            IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
                            SCSI/RAID Controller                              A347SCSI SCSI Controller
                            Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
                            Disk Drive                                        ST3160021A  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device
                            Disk Drive                                        Seagate FreeAgent USB Device  (465 GB, USB)
                            Optical Drive                                     HP DVD Writer 300n  (DVD:4x/2.4x/8x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD+RW)
                            Optical Drive                                     JLMS XJ-HD166S  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
                            SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                            C: (NTFS)                                         146925 MB (117892 MB free)
                            D: (FAT32)                                        5681 MB (976 MB free)
                            O: (NTFS)                                         476937 MB (468246 MB free)
                            Total Size                                        614.8 GB (573.4 GB free)

Input:
                            Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device
                            Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse

Peripherals:
                            Printer                                           Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d
                            Printer                                           Brother MFC-490CW Printer
                            Printer                                           Brother PC-FAX v.2
                            Printer                                           CutePDF Writer
                            Printer                                           Fax
                            Printer                                           QuickBooks PDF Converter
                            Printer                                           QuoteWerks PDF Generator
                            USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
                            USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
                            USB2 Controller                                   Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]
                            USB Device                                        Unknown Device
                            USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
                            USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device
                            USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device
                            USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »
                      I can't see any wireless network adapter listed.
                      You have regular adapter listed in your Device Manager: realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet, but nothing wireless.
                      See, if Everest says something in Network section.
                      Have you ever been able to connect wirelessly?