Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Carbonite error when opening IE  (Read 11518 times)

aleskip

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Carbonite error when opening IE
    « on: February 28, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
    I used PCMover to move data and applications from an xp pro computer to a Vista 64 bit machine. Now when I open Internet Explorer I get the following message:

"Carbonite was unable to access the registry (error result is 5). Carbonite cannot run without using the registry an the program has been stopped."

Carbonate is an on-line backup program. I tried un-installing and reinstalling it but still get the message.

Thanks ahead for your help.

Skip

aleskip

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Carbonite error when opening IE
      « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
      The following was Carbonite Support's response to my question. I followed the steps and the problem resolved. I don't know what sort of security issues might result from turning off the user account control, but for now I'm going with it.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Such issues occur in Windows Vista due to its feature "User Account Control". User Access Control for security purpose limit application software such as Carbonite to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase in privilege level. Please perform the following steps to turn of User Account Control (UAC) and then, check your issue.

Click Start and then open Control Panel. 
      In the Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety. 
      Click User Accounts. 
      Click Turn User Account Control on or off. 
      Clear the tick or check mark on the box beside the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer option. 
      Click OK. 
      When prompted, restart the computer. Note that the changes will affect all users on the computer. 
      To enable the UAC, simply tick or select the checkbox again.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
        « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »
        I've used Carbonite on a number of machines - and certainly wouldn't recommend turning off the UAC! It can be a pain in the derriere, but it also acts as the security feature for surfing with IE7. I'd turn it back on if I were you.

I'm surprised Carbonite didn't pick up on the issue though - Carbonite's software is tied to the machine it's installed on. If you move accounts you would need to uninstall Carbonite from the XP Pro computer, and then using the same account details you first registered with create a new account on the VIsta machine - there system SHOULD still then give you access to all of the files you originally backed up.
        A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

aleskip

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
          Thanks PCWizard! I turned it back on and will contact Carbonite if the issue resurfaces. I guess it's better to deal with a little inconvenience than to expose the computer to a potentially greater inconvenience.

Skip

uncleleo

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
            I am also a regular backup software user and have used Carbonite several times. I was satisfied with the software and never had any troubles. Turning off the UAC is definitely not the solution to the problem since it works perfectly for me (having UAC activated). Maybe you want to take a look at this Carbonite Backup review and see if it helps to solve your problems. I have to add that I don't use IE so I can't say anything about that issue.