Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Error when accessing the File menu in Microsoft Office Document Imaging  (Read 5733 times)

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

I was scanning one chapter of a book in Microsoft Office Document Imaging (program installed with Microsoft Office 2003) using my HP Deskjet F2180 (TWAIN). After I scanned all the pages of the book's chapter, I went to menu File>Save to save the document as a TIFF file. However, at that occasion, I inadvertently moved the slider to increase quality/compression under the save options for .MDI file format just before I hit the Save button. As I intended, the file was saved as a .tif file, which is the default file format option in the save window. But perhaps I should not have changed the settings for quality/compression of MDI format, because since then, every time that I click the menu File button, the program crashes and the the same Windows error appears, saying something like: «Microsoft Document Imaging found a problem and has to be shut down. We regret any inconvenience this might cause you. [...]»
    I love this program, and I'd like to keep using it. What should I do to get rid of these crashes? Do I have to restore the System to a previous restore point?

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

No need to restore the system! I tried the solution provided here and it worked!  8) I see now what probably have caused the crashes: I had saved 2 versions of the same file, (one with all the save options at their defaults and another one when I changed the settings for quality/compression of MDI format). But then, I think that while the program was still running, I manually deleted one of those files in Windows explorer, thus impairing it from being further accessed/listed among the 4 most recently opened files when I clicked on File in the top menu.
      Perhaps I should join TechArena Community too! It seems to be another great technical support community (like this one). You can't never get too much computer help. ;D

manish07

Rookie

You can change option which format do you want in menu file.

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

You can change option which format do you want in menu file.

When I use this program, I always save files as .tif files. It is more compatible with other programs. AFAIK, the .mdi files can only be read by one of 2 programs.
          Anyway I never saved a file as .mdi, even when I changed the settings for quality/compression of MDI format in the save window, the selected format for saving was still .tif and the new file was saved as .tif having exactly the same file size as the file saved with the default save settings. When I will save files again, I'll check if it is possible to change the quality/compression rate of the TIFF format as well, which is what I intended to do in the first place.