Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing 1st Disk to The Sims 2--Possible to Install?  (Read 34262 times)

secondrabbit

Missing 1st Disk to The Sims 2--Possible to Install?
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
Hello! I'm missing the 1st disk ONLY for my Sims 2 collection which I have not used in quite a bit. I was hoping to install this onto my Macbook Pro. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about computers and would really appreciate the help. Is there any sort of patch/whatever to help me out? Additionally, will I be able to install The Sims 2 onto a Mac anyways?

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Missing 1st Disk to The Sims 2--Possible to Install?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
Hello! I'm missing the 1st disk ONLY for my Sims 2 collection which I have not used in quite a bit. I was hoping to install this onto my Macbook Pro. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about computers and would really appreciate the help. Is there any sort of patch/whatever to help me out? Additionally, will I be able to install The Sims 2 onto a Mac anyways?

Thank you ahead of time for your help.
I think there is a specific version for a MAC, but if you lost the first disk, then you're probably screwed anyway.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:52:18 PM »
You can use someone else's disc 1 with your CD-key if you know someone else with the game. However, the game won't run without an actual disc 1 in the drive (since you'll need to return it to whoever you borrow it from). There are a few things you can do about this:

1. Purchase and install an expansion to the game. That expansion's disc will become the new play disc.

2. Download a no-CD/DVD crack for the game from http://www.gamecopyworld.com. This will allow you to play once you return the disc.

Also, since you're only missing disc 1, if you can find a disc to borrow, copy it to your hard drive. These files can then be used to install the game again in the future, should you need to. Start the installation with the files from the hard drive, then use the discs you do have (2, 3, & 4) in the drive. (I know this method works, because I have to do this in order to install my non-English edition in English. It involves editing one of the files once the disc is copied to the hard drive.)

Other than that, there isn't really any 'legal' way around it other than to purchase a new set of original discs.

As for installing it on a Mac, there is a Windows and Mac version of the game, sold separately.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
2. Download a no-CD/DVD crack for the game from http://www.gamecopyworld.com. This will allow you to play once you return the disc.

http://www.computerhope.com/under.htm
Crackz

Crackz are utilities that allow a user to bypass potential protection measures a company has created to prevent software piracy. Below are reasons why not to use Crackz.

1. If you are in need of crackz, more than likely you are pirating software, which is illegal.
   2. Crackz, like other illegal software, are a high risk for computer viruses.

See our warez section for additional reasons why you do not want to pirate software.

Warez

Warez, also known as pirated software, has been and continues to be a serious issue for the computer industry. Below are highly recommended reasons not to pirate or download warez.

1. It's illegal
   2. One of the most common ways to get computer viruses.
   3. Causes lost profits for computer companies, which can contribute to higher prices, less innovation, and possibly the down fall of the company.
   4. You receive no support from the company and no documentation for the software product. In addition, if Computer Hope finds out you are trying to obtain support for a pirated product, we will no longer support you.
   5. You will receive no free upgrades, offers, updates, or patches.
   6. If you are pirating computer games that are playable over the Internet, you more than likely will not be able to play the game with your friends.

With the popularity of purchasing software over the Internet, piracy is invading into several types of Internet Sites. Auction pages where users can bid on software is an ever growing location for the sale of pirated software. When purchasing software over the Internet, ensure that you are purchasing a legal copy of software by following the below guidelines.

1. Ensure the place of purchase has a return policy and contact information.
   2. If the price sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
   3. Do not purchase beta software.
   4. Do not purchase software that is described as CD only or with no other documentation.
   5. Do not purchase software that is on CD-R or CD-RW.
Where's MagicSpeed?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
Well, lucky for him he has an original license for the game and isn't breaking any laws then.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
Well, lucky for him he has an original license for the game and isn't breaking any laws then.
Unless the original licence was on the first disk...
Where's MagicSpeed?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
 ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »
licenses aren't on the discs, they're on the software.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:48:16 AM »
licenses aren't on the discs, they're on the software.
Serial keys are usually printed on a sticker on the CD Case. When I said licence, I meant licence keys (serial keys).
Where's MagicSpeed?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »
They are on the cd case or the manual.  I have yet to see the license actually on the disk

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:15 AM »
They are on the cd case or the manual.  I have yet to see the license actually on the disk

I did see one game, don't remember what it was. They put it on the actual CD. Was kinda stupid, you had to take the CD out during installation to enter the key, or write it down before you started lol

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:29:06 AM »
On a sticker on the disk container thing...it was usually a paper sleeve that the sticker was on, and the cd goes in.
Where's MagicSpeed?