Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8 unresponsive: «This window is busy...» message  (Read 20801 times)

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

I've been experiencing this occasional problem with IE8: Sometimes it stops responding indefinitely. When this happens, if I then click the X button to close the window, a message like this shows up: «This window is busy. Closing this window may cause some problems. Are you sure you want to close it? OK/Cancel»
    Is there a way to prevent this from happening or to workaround it when it occurs? Other IE8 users do also experience this? And more importantly, anyone knows what are those "problems" (referred in the error message) that may occur when I choose to close the window? You see, when this happens one are forced to close the IE window, or else IE remains unresponsive.
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:03:30 PM by Porthus »

nalee

Beginner
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Internet Explorer 8 unresponsive: «This window is busy...» message
      « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
      have you tried re-installing
      "If you don't stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of em"

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
        Yes, recently I reinstalled IE8, the version reinstalled was IE8 optimized for MSN, but it was still IE8 nevertheless. The problem described is the same that existed before reinstallation. Besides this problem, it should be noticed that IE8 takes significantly more time to start than its predecessor IE7, and takes much longer to open new tabs.

I've been experiencing this occasional problem with IE8: Sometimes it stops responding indefinitely. When this happens, if I then click the X button to close the window, a message like this shows up: «This window is busy. Closing this window may cause some problems. Are you sure you want to close it? OK/Cancel»
        Is there a way to prevent this from happening or to workaround it when it occurs? Other IE8 users do also experience this? And more importantly, anyone knows what are those "problems" (referred in the error message) that may occur when I choose to close the window?
        Anyone knows the answer to any of those questions?
        « Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:06:20 PM by Porthus »

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
        Go back to IE7.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »
          Go back to IE7.

How? Do I first download IE 7, then uninstall IE 8? Thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced

nalee

Beginner
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:14:16 AM »
            You can uninstall it first, but you need to have another browser like Firefox or something installed to get IE7 back.  If you dont, then download it and uninstall IE8 and you should be good from there.  If you try and install it without taking IE8 off it wont let you, it will say you already have a newer version than the one your trying to install.  Happy troubleshooting.  :)
            "If you don't stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of em"

Porthus

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:39:06 AM »
              You can uninstall it first, but you need to have another browser like Firefox or something installed to get IE7 back.  If you dont, then download it and uninstall IE8 and you should be good from there.  If you try and install it without taking IE8 off it wont let you, it will say you already have a newer version than the one your trying to install.  Happy troubleshooting.  :)
              No, I'm almost certain that simply by uninstalling IE8 through the Add/Remove control panel, Windows will automatically roll back to IE7, you don't have to install it further.

Anyway, I decided not to uninstall IE8, IMO it has some nice additions and improved security over IE7. The problem of IE8 not responding (it "hangs," "freezes," or "locks up") is merely occasional in my case and probably only occurs in certain sites. I will try some workaround when the problem occurs again. Yes, it's true that IE8 also takes longer to start and to open new tabs than IE7, but I don't think any of this justifies uninstallation of IE8. I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. At least in my case. That's why I asked if anyone knows what are those "problems" referred in the error message that may occur when I close the busy window.
              « Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:55:35 AM by Porthus »