Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows server 2008 won't install  (Read 24753 times)

slab69

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows server 2008 won't install
    « on: June 25, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
    I have an HP Proliant ML350 G5 server that I am trying to load Windows server 2008 32 bit standard edition on via Smart Start.  I downloaded the install file from Microsoft's Volume licensing site.  It tries to install, but after about half way, I get an error message that says:  The installation was canceled...Windows could not apply unattend settings during pass (null).  once I close the error message out, I get a commant prompt.  The last command executed by the install is hpssbem.exe.  I close out the command prompt and it reboots. 
    When it comes back up, I get a "DOS" window with the title of Windows Boot Manager.  the window says:
    Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:
    1. insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
    3. Click "Repair yor computer."

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Thank you for any help on this issue.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows server 2008 won't install
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
    Could be a bad download. Try downloading the dvd again.
    you might also want to try installing without smartstart, if possible. I've never used smartstart before, so I can't help any with that. Not even sure what it does.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:07 AM »
    The boot manager is due to the failed install.

What are your servers specs?
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

MaxLeopold

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
    I have the same issue -
    I have an HP ProLiant ML350 Gneration 5 Server with Xeon Quad core, 5GB RAM, 5x 72GB Harddrives (Drives 0,1 as Raid 0+1 / Drives 2,3 as 0+1 and Drive 4 as spare for 2,3)
    I have Windows Server 2008 SP2 Standard 32Bit

MaxLeopold

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
    I just downloaded the latest SmartStart Version 8.30 from the HP Website, made a Bootable Disk from the ISO File -
    Smart Smart does not allow to choose International English - just US, German etc.

But it finally copied the Installation Files over and then when it booted up again,
    it started to expand Files, rather than breaking up with the Error Message - so I am looking forward to get this Install going now.

5 min later all files are copied and it finishing the Installation now - I am happy!

Hope this message helps everyone else too!

Best regards

Max from London

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »
    Good to hear you got it goin Max...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "