Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two Modems, One DSL Connection  (Read 18320 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Two Modems, One DSL Connection
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
Thanks! I'm going to presume thumb-typing (or pizza fingers!)...

If you do that you'll make a "pres" out of U and Me. Geek insists on composing his posts on here using a microphone and voice recognition software, speech-to-text in other words, and he either cannot edit the results or does not consider it necessary. This means that most of his posts have some degree of mis-spelling and some of them are opaque to an amazing degree.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
That's interesting about the DHCP. I would have not thought of that - although in hindsight it makes perfect sense.

(Honestly, I don't see a real difference between your diagram and mine - am I missing something?)

I presume (there I go again) that ANY wireless router can be the upstairs, secondary router. That said, setting it up is freezing my brain.

Thanks for the advice/direction.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

WillLik

Starter
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Well, I must mention a solution that has btought us a lot of happiness connecting to a wireless router ALL the way across the house.
I could run a wire and probably in less time. But this is so much fun!

I found this site one day following internet tangents one day.
http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
It seems these crazy peeps like playing with this stuff a lot.

I drew a parabola on a 2 inch piece of craft foam and had it half done one day when my internet went out,

This cardboard box contains a piece of foam shaped like a parabola. The foam is covered on two sides with aluminum foil. A USB wifi adapter is inserted into the foam at the focal point of the parabola. The box was aimed at a house about 120 yards away and gave download in excess of 110K.
Pictures below.

I now have a similar box sitting up on a dresser serving wifi to that room. I really should tape it down, but if that computer looses connection I just have to go back and move it in place and say bad cat.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
If you ask: how? why?
makes me think you may not be
the right gal or guy...,

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
This cardboard box contains a piece of foam shaped like a parabola. The foam is covered on two sides with aluminum foil. A USB wifi adapter is inserted into the foam at the focal point of the parabola. The box was aimed at a house about 120 yards away and gave download in excess of 110K.
Pictures below.

So you are telling users how to steal internet from a greater distance?  Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that is certainly what it looks like.
Evil is an exact science.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 12:46:22 AM »
So you are telling users how to steal internet from a greater distance?  Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that is certainly what it looks like.

The distance test might have been done by the wifi owner or with their permission; informal ad-hoc WLANs (wireless local area networks) and wireless community networks are not unknown; the Pringles tube type signal booster "Cantenna" is quite well known.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:02:33 AM by Salmon Trout »

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »
The distance test might have been done by the wifi owner or with their permission; informal ad-hoc WLANs (wireless local area networks) and wireless community networks are not unknown; the Pringles tube type signal booster "Cantenna" is quite well known.
Well, I've been wrong before - it's entirely possible that I'm wrong again :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 01:03:41 AM »
Well, I've been wrong before - it's entirely possible that I'm wrong again :)

I don't say you are "wrong", only that wifi signal boosters have good uses as well as bad ones.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 01:13:55 AM »
I don't say you are "wrong", only that wifi signal boosters have good uses as well as bad ones.
Yeah, sometimes it's pretty easy to lose sight of the goal.
I do hope you aren't offended by my flippant remark, sometimes self deprecating humor is funny to me.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:42 AM »
I do hope you aren't offended by my flippant remark, sometimes self deprecating humor is funny to me.

I personally wasn't offended at all. Relax! I didn't think your remark was flippant. You are right to be concerned about wifi theft.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
I agree! One of the goals here is to have fun!

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
So back to our story... I bought the following last night and will try to install this weekend (unless you tell me I've got it all wrong!).

I bought a Belkin Powerline Adapter. Now it's called "VideoLink", and the marketing copy reads "VideoLink lets you connect your Internet-ready TV, Blu-ray™ player, or gaming console through any power outlet in your home", but I can't imagine it wouldn't work for laptops, too. Right? Right?

I also bought a second (Cisco) wireless router.

I already have an Actiontec combo DSL modem/wireless router. (It's configured with "no" security, but I do have MAC-level access authorization on it, so only approved machines can see the network.)

So here's what I'm thinking:

• Run a cable from the ActionTec modem/router into one of the Belkin adapters;
  • Plug the Belkin adapter into a wall outlet (natch);
  • Plug the OTHER Belkin adapter into an outlet upstairs;
  • Run a cable from the upstairs Belkin adapter to the Cisco router;
  • Surf the Internets* using my DSL connection, via the Cisco router, while seated comfortably on my third floor.

I'm a little confused how to configure the Cisco so it will work - but I presume it has a MAC that I will need to provide to the Actiontec, and I can give it the same SSID as the Actiontec and all will be swell. DHCP will be off. It will be like one big seamless network. Right? RIGHT???!?

(Do the Belkin adapters have MAC addresses?)

*(Let me be clear - I know I originally said I wanted to stream teevee, but it wouldn't suck to improve the wireless signal in that room! Yes, my objectives have changed...)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

immental1200

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
Yes that should work, remember to turn DHCP OFF on the 2nd cisco router, and what about forgetting the MAC security and just shoving a WPA key on there? Very simple and quick todo, plus more secure as MAC authorization can be bypassed easily... trust me I have tried !

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
OK, thanks. I also wanted to buy a new antenna for the original Actiontec router - but no one in town had the right size, so on impulse I bought a new router, one of those super-fast N routers... If I'm happy with how that fares, I may return the Powerline (although I feel obligate to all y'all to try that out).

I'm curious though about the WPA vs. MAC security. It was my understanding that MAC was the safest - in that only those machines on the white list would even see the network, whereas a password can be hacked, blindly hacking a MAC address and finding an "invisible" network seemed a whole lot more daunting!

immental1200

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »
When your laptop connects to the router it sends over its MAC address, with no security ANYONE can pick that outta the air... a hacker will then clone his PC to look like yours.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
Next question:

I'm now trying this with a Belkin router as my "second" router (the one on the receiving end of the Powerline, replacing the Cisco router in the previous example).

1) Yes, I will turn DHCP off.
b) Yes, I will use the same SSID.
3) Does the IP/Gateway matter? For instance, the Actiontec is set up at 192.168.1.1, with an IP class in the 192.168.1.65++ range. The Belkin came preset at 192.168.2.1... Should I change to be the same?

Thanks for all y'alls help and patience.