Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how can i log into windows xp if the file msgina.dll isnt loading :(  (Read 15630 times)

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

There was a window that kept popping up when windows xp loaded. It read something like "user logon ui encountered a problem." So I went on yahoo answers and followed ppls directions. went to the directory :C>windows>system32 and found the file "msgina.dll" I was told to move it somewhere else and that windows xp would automatically extract or copy a new file in its place. So I did that, moved the file assuming everything would b ok. Today I try logging in and can't :( it reads "the logon user interface msgina.dll failed to load" "contact your system administrator to replace the dll, or restore the original dll." I know exactly where the file is and can move it back easily. But I can't log on so I'm kinda stuck here. Everytime I try logging on I get that failled to load window. The only option is to restart. Sucks. Safe mode doesn't work either. Is there any other way??? Please help :(

I know I posted this question twice but the first time I posted it the tex was all jumbled up n doesn't make sense. I'm also desperate and anxious to fix the problem quick. I need to get some work done

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: how can i log into windows xp if the file msgina.dll isnt loading :(
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
    do you have a windows xp installation cd?

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:03:53 PM »
      Yes I do. I checked online and this is what I'm currently in the process of.

I booted from the cd rom. The windows xp cd is in there.

The welcome to windows setup screen came up. I went to the recovery console.

Logged onto the only windows installation I have. Entered the default admin password.

Then I entered the command chkdsk /r

Its currently at 57% completed and climbing really slow

Am I doing this right?

I'm trying to get that msgina.dll file back into its directory
      within the system32 folder :( someone help. I'm a noob with computers and every step I take to fix this scares me

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
      So far so good...let chkdsk finish...remove the XP CD and re-boot.
      Report back with what happens...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
        Ok. Chkdsk finished and it said it repaired some files

I restart the computer and its still there :( the file msgina.dll still isn't loading.

I've been looking online and would this do the trick:

A) Expanding the file msgina.dll from the cd using the command prompt in the recovery console

B) or should I do an install/repair using the cd. I dnt want my info to be erased however :(

What would you do?

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »
        as far as I am aware, the cd repair should be leaving programs and data intact, so it should be fine.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
          How do I run the install/repair?

Is it the first option after rebooting from the disk?

This is going to create 2 instances of windows if I do this?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
          Repair Install of XP

If done properly all your apps and data will be intact...

If done improperly all that will be gone but you will have a clean install of XP...

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »
          Also, I'm assuming you're at the point where you see something like what the screenshot below shows

And another good link below with simply instructions on how to do that xp repair, if you'd like something little simpler to look at.
          http://www.ehow.com/how_5132855_run-windows-xp-repair-command.html

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »
            I check out the link. Thanks but I've tried that option. Going to the last known good working configuration doesn't work. And I haven't installed a security update either.

This whole problem started because I moved the file msgina.dll to the directory

C:\mydocuments\jobapps (not sure if that's the correct path for mydocuments though, if someone knows the correct path to mydocuments that would b very helpful)

The file is in that directory I'm sure. Is there a way to move that file into the correct directory?

Or should I just go through install/repair

Thanx for all your help

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
            I think you should just go through the repair. I never needed to do it before but I think either you get your system repaired if it can do it or your system is left as is with nothing done.

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »
              Yeah I'm just going to go with that system repair

Thanx for ur help

I ran a chkdsk /r again, maybe something changes if not I'm gnna do the install/repair for sure

Ill let u guys know what comes up

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              « Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
              chkdsk /r checks a drive for errors... a file is missing because it was moved. chkdsk won't do anything about that.

the repair will replace the system files... including msgina.dll.

perhaps be careful with yahoo answers in the future... not everybody there is particularly knowledgable, and in fact a large number of their members have the uncanny ability to speak out their *censored*. (hahaha)
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

algon27

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
                Ok I ran the instal/repair with the windows xp disc.

Some files were not copied though. Some windows would pop up during the install process saying certain files could not b copied. I pressed ok on them.

Something about the logo not being right? I have no idea. My day was wasted :( I have almost given up for now. The install was done and some window pops up saying this software can't be installed. I pressed ok it finished installing. It self rebooted and came to a black screen. I tried press ctrl alt del and nothing so I turned it off by holding the power button :(

Its off and I'm scared of turning it on and finding everything messed up. Any ideas? I will have to turn the computer on soon but *censored* to b honest with you guys I need a break