Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DELL Windows XP installed in a COMPAQ presario V2000  (Read 3973 times)

yansy

DELL Windows XP installed in a COMPAQ presario V2000
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »
Hello, I had some problems with my laptop Compaq presario v2000. I need it to format it, but the only cd that I have is the DELL Recovery cd for windows Home. (my laptop has the code for the windows xp home, so i thought that it was not illegal because i already paid for windows)
anyway, I have windows, but a lot of hardware is having a problems: mass sotorage controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, pci modem, sm bus controller, universal serial bus (USB controller and video controller) I tried to install them from the HP website, but it didn't work, I download (paid) drivers from a website, but it says "The INF file does not contain information for this sistem's hardware"
What can I do? is there a place where I can download the recovery cd windows xp home for a compaq?
Thanks
 :(

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: DELL Windows XP installed in a COMPAQ presario V2000
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:16:55 PM »
you can't download compaq windows recovery. Either you use recovery system built into the compaq computer by HP, or you buy a recovery cd from HP.

smeezekitty

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
A: it may not activate properly because its a already used copy of windows
B: NEVER pay for drivers if they are not free you are getting scamed
C: we avoid assisting piracy

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »
however, if it is a used copy of windows for which you are 100% sure it's genuine windows product key, then microsoft/HP would be willing to help you get the product activated (on same computer for which said product key came with)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:17 AM »
Call Compaq for replacement Recovery CD's...
Another alternative would be to borrow an XP CD to do the install.
You will still have to contact MS upon activation...use the #800 number.

Attempting this with the Dell CD will give you nothing but grief...especially since it's a laptop.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "