Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is a good Motherboard That would fit in my Insignia D400 Tower?  (Read 11869 times)

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced

hot dog

Re: What is a good Motherboard That would fit in my Insignia D400 Tower?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »
It depends on what you will be using the motherboard/computer for...    What kinds of things to you generally use a computer for?  You'll need a mboard best suited for the types of apps you want to run along with the right form factor (size)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:34:22 PM by block_head »

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »
It depends on what you will be using the motherboard/computer for...    What kinds of things to you generally use a computer for?  You'll need a mboard best suited for the types of apps you want to run along with the right form factor (size)

I pretty much use it for Games..

Size?

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »
I pretty much use it for Games..

Size?

Yes, I was just emphasizing when you find the board that fits your needs the best, you have to be sure it fits into your tower, as well.

Are you simply looking for a replacement board or wanting to upgrade the board?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:41:47 PM by block_head »

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »
Yes, I was just emphasizing when you find the board that fits your needs the best, you have to be sure it fits into your tower, as well.

Are you simply looking for a replacement board or wanting to upgrade the board?

well what board would be a good one? ^^

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
I accepts a micro ATX form factor according to this and this so nothing larger (such as an ATX) will fit.

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:21 PM »
I accepts a micro ATX form factor according to this and this so nothing larger (such as an ATX) will fit.

thanks... i already know that but can  i re-ask my question.... what kind of atx mother board would be a nice one on my computer... personally i would want it to be good at gaming.... thanks

hot dog

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
What games to you plan on playing?  Can you give us some ideas?   Some games are more graphics intensive than others..

We'll need to find a board that best fits the requirements of the games you are interested in..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »
Somebody asked that same question on Yahoo almost two years ago.

Why not just get the best you can afford and, if needed, get a new tower.

If you just want to impress your friends, just hook up a bunch fo flashing lists in the empty tower and put the real PC under your desk out of sight.   ::)

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »
What games to you plan on playing?  Can you give us some ideas?   Some games are more graphics intensive than others..

We'll need to find a board that best fits the requirements of the games you are interested in..

I plan to play a Mmorpg. It requires PixelShader 2.0 or more

hot dog

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 02:00:31 AM »
According to this web page from the game's website: 
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?post=2976325&bhcp=1&bhhash=1#2976325

this inexpensive motherboard meet's the requirements for running your game at its maximum settings:
http://www.motherboardgalaxy.com/showroom/6506.cfm#Overview

It has a built in network card... But you will have to buy an Intel Dual Core CPU to install on the board, for playing at MAX. settings.  If you don't already have DDR2 memory set aside you'll have to get some of that as well because the board accepts only DDR2.  You'll need one of the recommended cards too.... I know, it adds up doesn't it...

Unfortunately, if you are looking into expanding and leaving room for future gaming you'll be limited to that board's PCIexpress 1.0 capabilities.  PCI express 2.0 mboards have been out for a while now and PCIexpress 3.0 right around the corner. 
One of those recommended cards will get you by for the game you stated, but if there are any games that require a higher standard such as PCIexpress 2.0 you'll be stuck with the 1.0 slot on that board. In other words, if you put a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot, it will only run at the max. speed of the 1.0 slot and will not allow for the full bandwidth of the 2.0 Card's capabilities.

Here is an inexpensive micro ATX board that supports PCIexpress 2.0...
http://www.xpcgear.com/gigabyte-ga-ma78gpm-ud2h-micro-atx-hdmi.html
It also has a built in network card, but like the other board, you'd have to get an Dual Core CPU for it (this board uses AMD only)  and  DDR2 memory.  If you're thinking about the future, I'd go with this board...Of course, you'll need one of the recommended cards, or another card with equivalent video memory that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 or above..

Ultimately, it depends on what you are willing to spend... There is also a possibility that you'll need a better power supply.... I can't seem to find any info. on your computer's current power supply.... What is the make/model of your computer's power supply?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:34:38 AM by block_head »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
Personally i'd start looking at new cases as right now you are limited to a miniATX board which gives you far less options...
Many ATX full size cases will accept both styles of board.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
According to this web page from the game's website: 
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?post=2976325&bhcp=1&bhhash=1#2976325

this inexpensive motherboard meet's the requirements for running your game at its maximum settings:
http://www.motherboardgalaxy.com/showroom/6506.cfm#Overview

It has a built in network card... But you will have to buy an Intel Dual Core CPU to install on the board, for playing at MAX. settings.  If you don't already have DDR2 memory set aside you'll have to get some of that as well because the board accepts only DDR2.  You'll need one of the recommended cards too.... I know, it adds up doesn't it...

Unfortunately, if you are looking into expanding and leaving room for future gaming you'll be limited to that board's PCIexpress 1.0 capabilities.  PCI express 2.0 mboards have been out for a while now and PCIexpress 3.0 right around the corner. 
One of those recommended cards will get you by for the game you stated, but if there are any games that require a higher standard such as PCIexpress 2.0 you'll be stuck with the 1.0 slot on that board. In other words, if you put a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot, it will only run at the max. speed of the 1.0 slot and will not allow for the full bandwidth of the 2.0 Card's capabilities.

Here is an inexpensive micro ATX board that supports PCIexpress 2.0...
http://www.xpcgear.com/gigabyte-ga-ma78gpm-ud2h-micro-atx-hdmi.html
It also has a built in network card, but like the other board, you'd have to get an Dual Core CPU for it (this board uses AMD only)  and  DDR2 memory.  If you're thinking about the future, I'd go with this board...Of course, you'll need one of the recommended cards, or another card with equivalent video memory that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 or above..

Ultimately, it depends on what you are willing to spend... There is also a possibility that you'll need a better power supply.... I can't seem to find any info. on your computer's current power supply.... What is the make/model of your computer's power supply?

I appreciate your answers.. ^^ The power supply is a Hipro Brand. The model number is: HP-P3037F5

AC Input(60/50Hz): 115V~/6A
                                230V~/3A
DC Output: +5V=/25A , +12V=/10A
                  +3.3V=16A , -12V=/0.8A
                     -5V=/0.3A , +5VSB=/3A
+5 & +3.3V Shall not Exceed 165W
+5 & +3.3V & +12 Shall Not Exceed 230W

That's pretty much all it says on the back.

In the Future I will welcome changing to Amd Because of a rumor that I've heard that AMD has exactly the same processors as Intel, But changed a little bit... because of a contract they had... and AMD i cheaper too.
But not right now.. Because i need Save money for that.

And again I appreciate your participation in this.

BluerjB

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Windows 7
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
Ooh How many Ghz would be a good  for a Intel core duo..

Or can i have a list of Intel Core duos that will do good for this board

hot dog

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
Ooh How many Ghz would be a good  for a Intel core duo..

Or can i have a list of Intel Core duos that will do good for this board

The first motherboard I mentioned accepts Intel Chips only...  It has an LGA 775 processor socket..
Here are the processor that will work in that socket:
http://www.directron.com/sockett.html

and according to the recommended hardware for that game, a dual core Intel processor of 2 GHz or more will work for playing the game at MAX. settings..

Newegg has the same board for less cost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288

edit: It looks like you WILL need a new power supply, as your current supply does not have the necessary 24 pin main connector to support PCIexpress...  You will need a power supply with a 24-pin main connector and depending and how many/what devices you wish to add to the computer will determine the wattage you'll need...... The following link will give you an idea on how to calculate your power needs.. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1633                 If you are not sure how many WATTS a particular piece of hardware consumes, just google the hardware for it's specifications..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:13:34 PM by block_head »