Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusal problems with BIOS and PC Restarts  (Read 1902 times)

thegilpins

Topic Starter

Unusal problems with BIOS and PC Restarts
    « on: September 30, 2009, 05:07:17 AM »
    Hi, if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

I have just built a PC using a new to me motherboard and processor plus known working components from another PC (i.e. PSU, HDD, DDR2 memory, video card, DVD Drive).

This is not the first time I have built a new PC but the problems I am getting are beating me.

I have four issues:
    - When using the latest version of the BIOS the PC just freezes whilst trying to update settings or just monitoring the temperatures. Older versions of the BIOS do not freeze but the manufactures web site state I need the latest version for the CPU I have
    - When checking CPU temperates I get different readings from the BIOS (27C idle), overclocking utility (20C idle) and Speedfan (55C idle). Note I am not overclocking but rather just using the utility to check system health
    - The motherboard seems to run very hot based on the BIOS reading of around 50C at idle load. The heat inside the case seems very hot compared to other PC's I have with similar specs, even if I leave the case open for good ventilation
    - The PC cuts out at random times. There is no BSOD it just cuts out and restarts. This happens at varied events (including installling windows and also when using it after successful install, and not necessarily whilst under load)

I have reseated the CPU / HSF, disconnected unneeded devices but cannot seem to find the cause of the problem. My gut feel is that it is either a CPU or Motherboard issue (as I know the other components were working in a previous PC) and want to return the one that is not working but do not know which one it is.

My system is made up of a Gigabyte motherboard GA-P35-DS3R, Intel Q8200, Arctic Freezer Pro HSF, Dell 450W PSU, nVidia 9600GSU, Maxstore 250GB HDD, DVD-ROM, 4GB DDR2 Memory and I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unusal problems with BIOS and PC Restarts
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »
    Was thermal paste properly applied during assembly ? ?

Thermal Paste Guide

How old is that Dell PSU ? ? I'm assuming it's used and i'd recommend replacing it for one powerful enough for the new system.
    Remember an under-powered system will struggle and run hotter than one with proper power.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thegilpins

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
      Thanks for the reply.

Yes the thermal paste was correctly applied.

The Dell PSU is only 12-18 months old and on a previous system was powering a larger graphics card, another HDD and an additional DVD ROM without any issues.

The only main differences were an older motherboard and a Pentium 4 cpu rather than the newer quad core Q8200.

Do you think the Dell PSU is not up to the job? If so is it the new motherboard / cpu combination that could be causing the issue?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:17:47 AM »
      Why not borrow a known good PSU of say 600W and swap it in there overnight ? ?
      You have nothing to lose and it won't cost a dime.
      It will however tell you if the system is under-powered by how it runs...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "