Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 driver trouble. System won't work.  (Read 5743 times)

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows 98 driver trouble. System won't work.
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »
Hi guys.

I think I got myself in big trouble here. I recently installed 98SE on my old PC.
Yesterday I installed the official RCA Lyra MP3 player driver from my CD.

It wanted to reboot to finnish installing the driver. I let it. When the OS rebooted it displayed a new hardware install window. I successfully installed the RCA Lyra and one other device. But failed to install "Unknown device" and a "USB mass storage device". It then gave me the blue screen of death saying "A fatal exception 00 has occurred at 0028:C1C2E683 in VXD DiskTSD (3) + 00001E13. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to terminate
* press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer"

When I click a key to terminate my computer seems to freeze at loading my blank desktop and black screen (no taskbar, icons etc.). I cannot get into Windows.

I don't understand why this happened. The driver was a good one certified for 98SE (ME etc.) from a manufactures CD.

Can somebody please help me?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 98 driver trouble. System won't work.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Not the first time I've seen manufacturer's drivers not function under Win98SE.   Sometimes this is due to believing Win98 is exactly the same as Win98SE.  They are more different than the name implies.  However, Win98SE is far superior.  Sometimes Win2k drivers will work.
Since you can't boot Win98SE, temporarily remove the device and then uninstall the software.

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Sometimes this is due to believing Win98 is exactly the same as Win98SE.  They are more different than the name implies.  However, Win98SE is far superior.
So the driver thinks i'm running 98?

Since you can't boot Win98SE, temporarily remove the device and then uninstall the software.
Okay, I removed the device and I can get into 98 now. How do I remove the driver? I uninstalled the entry "Lyra digital audio player" from the add/remove programs.

Sometimes Win2k drivers will work.
I don't think I have 2K drivers, I believe my driver on the CD is a all-in-one driver for 98SE, ME and 2K.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »
1.  So the driver thinks i'm running 98?
2.  I removed the device and I can get into 98 now. How do I remove the driver? I uninstalled the entry "Lyra digital audio player" from the add/remove programs.
3.  I don't think I have 2K drivers, I believe my driver on the CD is a all-in-one driver for 98SE, ME and 2K.
1.  No.  The driver is NOT for 98SE, since it didn't work for you.  It's always possible that the device is defective.  Can you test it on an XP or later box?
2.  If you installed the app, the driver should be removed.
3.  Once in a while I find some third party or other drivers.  Try www.driverguide.com
I had similar issues with a Sandisk Flash Drive, didn't lock computer, but would not function.  Same computer with triple boot, functioned perfectly in Win2k & WinXP.

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
1.  No.  The driver is NOT for 98SE, since it didn't work for you.  It's always possible that the device is defective.  Can you test it on an XP or later box?

I had similar issues with a Sandisk Flash Drive, didn't lock computer, but would not function.  Same computer with triple boot, functioned perfectly in Win2k & WinXP.
Yes this device works fine on the other three computers I use (Win2000, WinXp, Vista). It also works on this PC on XP (it is a dual-booted system). It worked on these systems without me installing a driver.
3.  Once in a while I find some third party or other drivers.  Try www.driverguide.com
Driverguide did not have it but I found 2 places that did.

1.http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/236263/rca-rd1076-lyra-mp3-flash-player-usb-driver-windows-98se-me-free-download.html
2.http://www.soft32download.com/software/RCA-RD1076-Lyra-Mp3-Flash-Player-USB-Windows-98SE-Me-driver-download-details.html

They both say they're for Window 98SE and ME. The soft32 one says it's a 2009 release and the opendrivers one says it's a 2005 release. I bought this MP3 player in 2005-2006 so the driver at opendrivers could be the same one on my disk. Which should I try first?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
...Which should I try first?
Flip a coin.