Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps switching off  (Read 1818 times)

peteloaf

Topic Starter

Computer keeps switching off
    « on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
    Hi,

I just built a PC for my friend, I have built all the PCs in my house and built many for friends family etc. But this one is the first that's made me pull my hair out.

It powers up fine, windows starts and it will run fine (i.e browsing the net etc). Now the minute i go to run a game (even an old one which the computer is more than able to play) the PC just switches off. This also happens when certain programmes install updates such as windows. When it shuts off it doesn't restart it just turns off (almost like the plug has been pulled). When i turn the power back on it starts up fine again until i try to run a game or it installs updates, then the same thing happens again. If anyone has any suggestions I would be most gratefull. All I can guess at the moment is power supply. Its all brand new so there is no dust build up.

The system specs are as follows

thermaltake case with 5 x 120mm fans. 1 at front bottom, 2 on side panel (I have these set to blow inwards) and there is 1 at top of case and 1 top back of case (these are set to blow air out).

ASUS M4N78 pro motherboard (graphics are on-board and are the ones being used)
    AMD athlon II x2 250 am3 3ghz processor
    2gig ddr2 1066MHz ram (I have also tried my 2 gig of ddr2 800MHz to see if the ram was the problem but the problem persists).
    DVD Drive
    1 terabyte hardrive (SATA)
    750 watt switching power supply (its a cheap one which is mainly why i think this could be the problem).
    The specs on the power supply are as follows:
    +3.3V = 30A
    +5V = 33A
    +12V1 = 24A
    +12V2 = 24A
    -12V = 0.3A
    +5VSB = 2.5A

I installed speed fan which says:

GPU = 43c
    Temp 1 = 32c
    Temp2 = 30c
    Temp3 = -128c
    HD0 = 30c
    core = 23c
    core = 43c
    Ambient = 0c

Thank you for your time in advance  :)

Pete

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer keeps switching off
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
    Thermal paste applied properly at build time ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

peteloaf

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
      It was already applied to the heatsink which came with the CPU, which has been attached properly.

I'm on the computer at min its been on for a few hours and not shut down its just when some updates take place or a game is installed (also cuts off if the game is run after turning back on)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
      Then i suspect as well the PSU...

However do some temp readings when gaming....speedfan will minimize to the tray.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »
        I had similar problem with a laptop, where I was able to run a game, but it would turn off after a while caused to overheating. Defenitely check your temps