Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI multimedia audio device driver for windows 98  (Read 12654 times)

Hev7970

PCI multimedia audio device driver for windows 98
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
Hi:   I have an older desktop running windows 98 that I want to give to my kid to mess around on.   However, the sound has quit working and it tells me that the driver for this device is not installed (code 28).   I know I could just download this from somewhere but, this desktop does not have internet access (we have wi-fi).  I want to use my windows XP latop to download the driver to a thumbnail drive and then transfer the download to the old desktop??  Is that possible.   Most of the web-site I visited to try and download had software that "checked" your operating system to see what driver you needed - but this is no good for me as it is for a different computer!    Any ideas or suggestions as to where I can get this driver downloaded to a thumbnail drive would be greatly appreciated.  Obviously, with such an old desktop, I do not want to spend a ton of cash to get the sound working!   

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: PCI multimedia audio device driver for windows 98
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
www.driverguide.com used to be free, and I think now its free for your first 2 or 3 driver downloads after registering. I would burn the drivers to a CD as for USB for Windows 98 and Thumbdrives can be a pita to get them working, especially if Windows 98 is not SE.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: PCI multimedia audio device driver for windows 98
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Is the audio on board or is it an expansion card?

If it's on board, give us the brand and model of the computer. If it's a card give us the brand and model of card.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/