Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keep USB power during sleep?  (Read 35041 times)

bills742

Topic Starter

Keep USB power during sleep?
    « on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop running Vista and a cordless logitech wave keyboard. I use an external monitor and I want to keep my usb ports powered during sleep so that I can use my keyboard to wake my computer from sleep without having to open and close the laptop lid everytime. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Keep USB power during sleep?
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop running Vista and a cordless logitech wave keyboard. I use an external monitor and I want to keep my usb ports powered during sleep so that I can use my keyboard to wake my computer from sleep without having to open and close the laptop lid everytime. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

I think it's dependent on whether or not the motherboard keeps the USB slots powered in sleep mode. Some do, some don't. I know my HP does, and I can wake it from the keyboard, but my ASUS doesn't and I have open the lid to power it back up every time. As far as I know, I don't think there's any way to change this.

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
      • Tricks Guide
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »
    Hi

Not sure whether it helps,

Open Device manager.

Click Start, type devmgmt.msc

Please click on the + sign near to  Universal Serial Bus Controller, Many USB root hubs will be listed.

Double click on each USB root hub, Click the Power Management tab, Please un-check all the section "Allow this computer to turn Off this device to Save power".

Click OK.  Perform this steps for all USB root hubs and see.

Just a try, that is it

Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »
    usually on a desktop there is a jumper that allows you to control the +5VSB voltage to the PS/2 Ports and the USB ports, however, as this is a laptop, the setting may be in the BIOS, or Sykes suggestion may work.

To access your BIOS, look for a message as the laptop is booting, like press F2 to enter setup, or similar. it may be Del (delete) F10, F9...different manufacturers have different keys, under anything relates to power /power management may lie your answer.

Something like USB power in sleep or something else similar.

Goodluck!

EDIT: I was right, you need to change a BIOS setting, I found it out on this page here http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19272402.aspx

So you just need to open the BIOS and change the Wake from USB setting under power management.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:51:44 AM »
    Check the settings in power options. You can create a custom setting that does not power off usb.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
    Check the settings in power options. You can create a custom setting that does not power off usb.

Does that carry over into sleep mode though? I was under the impression that only applied to while the computer was on, but idle for a certain amount of time.

bills742

Topic Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »
      usually on a desktop there is a jumper that allows you to control the +5VSB voltage to the PS/2 Ports and the USB ports, however, as this is a laptop, the setting may be in the BIOS, or Sykes suggestion may work.

To access your BIOS, look for a message as the laptop is booting, like press F2 to enter setup, or similar. it may be Del (delete) F10, F9...different manufacturers have different keys, under anything relates to power /power management may lie your answer.

Something like USB power in sleep or something else similar.

Goodluck!

EDIT: I was right, you need to change a BIOS setting, I found it out on this page here http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19272402.aspx

So you just need to open the BIOS and change the Wake from USB setting under power management.

Thanks Kurtiskain, this worked!

Sykes

Beginner

• Nice Guy :)
        • Tricks Guide
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »
      Great work Kurtiskain :)
      Have a good day

My Blog: http://www.tricksguide.com/

Sykes :)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 04:17:54 AM »
      Thanks Kurtiskain, this worked!

Thats good!

also, Thank you Sykes! Refreshing to see a friendly attitude on CH :)

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 05:49:24 AM »
      Does that carry over into sleep mode though? I was under the impression that only applied to while the computer was on, but idle for a certain amount of time.
      You know, I'm not really certain since I don't use Sleep mode. You are correct that it works when powering down other components.