Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help building a decent gaming pc  (Read 3895 times)

Herox

Need help building a decent gaming pc
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
Hi I'm new here, sent by a friend saying this was the best place to ask.

I was going to get a nice laptop with a geforce 9600GT and a athlon x2 2.0ghz, but it seems like the closer I get to having the money roll in, the sooner they disappear from global/tigerdirect. So I've decided to build a desktop, even though I have a lack of room, I do not care If I have to sit it on my Night stand.

With a $600 limit. I really only play source games, but I recently bought GTA 4 and id like to buy MW2. Is this do able? I do not mind AMD cores, but Id like a geforce card. I do also need to incorporate a monitor, and a keyboard. If the mobo has a decent chipset that I can play source games from at least (tf2 and css mostly), I am willing to skip the gfx card till a later time.

Thank you for any input. :3

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Need help building a decent gaming pc
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
Bumping post and moving to hardware section. I believe you'll get a lot more help there.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:37:19 PM »
Well, mine runs fairly well. All the specs are listed under my name on the left.

scottisaNOOB

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »
    Go get a 199$ barebones kit from Tiger.  It will play your games. For 120 you can get a decent monitor and for 80/90$ you can get video.  I wish I had 600 to spend.     
    GO GET'EM

mypersonaltechadvisor

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
      I would take a look at PC Perspective's Hardware Leaderboard here http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php?. The site has four configurations (Budget, Mid, High, and Dream) with a single paragraph describing each one. while the Budget is the only one <$600, and it doesn't include monitor, keyboard, or mouse. However, I think the real benefit you might find is that this site does a great job at rating hardware in a no-nonsense way. They also have free podcasts and other information you might find useful.

I remember building my first system. You will learn a lot. Don't do it unless you are prepared to do a lot of homework and be your own tech support. One thing to consider is buying a pre-built system from HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. You might be surprised how cheaply you can buy a complete system these days.

Good luck!
      Jesse
      Want a little extra help? Come on over to www.mypersonaltechadvisor.com.