Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting So Annoyed - Online Videos Loading Only Partially and Stopping  (Read 3140 times)

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Any online video: YouTube, news websites, Hulu, anything. The videos will load anywhere between ten seconds and one minutes in, and then just stop. When I'm watching the video and it gets to that point, the video freezes, as if it's trying to buffer more, but it doesn't.

I run Windows XP on my Dell XPS M140 laptop. My main browser is the lastest dev build of Google Chrome, though this problems occurs in my versions of IE and FireFox, as well, so I don't think it is a problem inherent in the browser.

I've tried reinstalling Adobe Flash and I've tried downgrading to different versions of it. One person told me to find "C:\Documents and Settings\[your windows account name]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player" and delete my cookies, but it doesn't seem like I even have that folded. I've even tried Restoring my computer a few weeks back--nothing works!!

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jackkent

Re: Getting So Annoyed - Online Videos Loading Only Partially and Stopping
      « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
      Could it be the hard disk partition holding the web page caches and the video caches is stuffed? So it could explain why you have this problem repetitively.
      If purging the caches gives you no go, you may consider a clean reinstallation then.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:35:14 AM »
      What type of web connection do you have ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
        If I can help it, I'd rather not wipe my whole hard drive...

@ Patio: I have DSL High-Speed Internet. I'm connected to it wirelessly.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:51:04 AM »
        Could it be the hard disk partition holding the web page caches and the video caches is stuffed? So it could explain why you have this problem repetitively.
        If purging the caches gives you no go, you may consider a clean reinstallation then.
        Ignore this post

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
        If I can help it, I'd rather not wipe my whole hard drive...

@ Patio: I have DSL High-Speed Internet. I'm connected to it wirelessly.

Travel Here... and run a 1/2 dozen tests over an hour period or so...compare the results to what your providers advertised speed is.

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
          Ignore this post
          OK... why?

Travel Here... and run a 1/2 dozen tests over an hour period or so...compare the results to what your providers advertised speed is.
          Will this fix the problem? I don't believe this is a problem with my connection speed. I've been using the same Internet provider and router for months and the problem just recently arose.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »
          It doesn't fix anything...it does however report what speeds your connection is at...

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
            Um, OK, cool. 4228 Kb/s download speed, 984 Kb/s upload speed, 33ms latency.

Now what do I do with this information?