Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sounds played at Startup or Shutdown (Windows XP SP3)  (Read 4266 times)

shiholude

Topic Starter

Starter

No sounds played at Startup or Shutdown (Windows XP SP3)
    « on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
    I know what your thinking... "check your audio settings"... but allow me to explain further, for I am truly baffled as to how I lost these sounds!

ISSUE:
    When starting up or loggin in, there is no "Start Windows" sound file that is played. When shutting down, restarting, or logging off, there is no "Exit Windows" sound file played.

MORE INFORMATION:
    1) All sounds play normally once Windows is up and running, including the "Start Windows" and "Exit Windows" sounds found under Audio Properties.
    2) Both sounds play when signing into my Admin account, just not my personal account that I run under normally. Under the Admin account, I can see no differences in what services I am running or what settings I could have possibly changed.
    3) I've changed no settings to my knowledge that would effect ONLY the startup and shutdown sounds.
    4) All other programs, such as MP3s, viedos, games, and windows sounds play normally.
    5) All sound card drivers are up to date and functional.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: No sounds played at Startup or Shutdown (Windows XP SP3)
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
    Type mmsys.cpl in the run box and hit enter. Is the sounds found there what your reffering to as Audio Properties or is this what your looking for? Is there a sound selected for start windows and exit windows?

shiholude

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:48:27 AM »
      Is the sounds found there what your reffering to as Audio Properties or is this what your looking for?
      Yes, this windows is what I am referring to when i mention "Audio Properties".

Is there a sound selected for start windows and exit windows?
      I have the default sounds chosen for both the initial profile that Windows sets up when installed, and the actual setting for "Windows Default" settings.

Both the "Start Windows" and "Exit Windows" selections have sounds files associated with them, and play properly when pressing the preview play button under this window. But not when starting or exiting Windows.

Crazy eh? Again, the sounds files play under my Admin acct, just not my own acct that i set up when installing WinXPPro. It seems that there is something special set within my profile itself - even though the sounds play and are assigned properly.

shiholude

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »
        I decided to simply reload windows once again, as I couldn't figure out why these files wouldn't play, and other funky things like icons disappearing caused me to becoem uneasy with the stability of my currently installed copy.

I'm not sure what could have caused this, but the reinstall fixed the issue (at least for now). Perhaps it was simply corrupted audio data associated with my profile. Regardless, all is well.

-Shiholude

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:07 AM »
          Go To Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Sounds > There Will be Bunch Of wav's

Find Out the one which is not working

their names are simple and easy to identify