Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot print but can scan  (Read 8237 times)

tms_

Topic Starter

Starter

Cannot print but can scan
    « on: February 05, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
    I have hp deskjet F2180 printer, but I cant get it to print on this computer.
    (On my other computer it works just fine). However, it seems like the connection between them exists and works,
    I am able to even scan.

The files I try to print appear in the print queue, as they should. On the first one the status is "printing", but
    nothing happens. I am not able to remove the files from the queue, therefore not able to
     remove the printer - one time I think I was able to do it by restarting the print spooler. (I first
    clicked delete on the printers-list, and after that restarted the spooler, the printer disappeared)

I have tried to reinstall the drivers and the software of the printer several times, but it does not seem to work.

What could be the problem?

I run Vista home premium.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cannot print but can scan
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »
    Make sure the HP is set as your default printer

tms_

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
      Make sure the HP is set as your default printer

It is set as my default printer.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
      There may be 2 HP icons in there...1 is the printer...the other the scanner.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BillRichardson

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »
        From Help and Support XP Pro:

"To install new or updated printer drivers
        You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure. For more information, click Related Topics.

Open Printers and Faxes.
        Right-click the printer for which you want to change drivers, and then click Properties.
        On the Advanced tab, click New Driver to install a new or updated version of the printer driver using the Add Printer Driver Wizard.
        Click Next, and then do one of the following:
        Click the appropriate printer manufacturer and printer model if the new or updated driver is on the list.
        Click Have Disk if the printer driver is not included in the list or if you have received a new or updated driver on CD or diskette from the printer manufacturer, type the path where the driver is located, and then click OK.
        Click Next, and then follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the printer driver.
         Notes

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.
        You can also open printer properties in Printers and Faxes by clicking a printer, and then clicking Set printer properties under Tasks on the left side of the window. This option is available only if folders are set to look like a Web page and a printer is selected. For more information, click Related Topics.
        When using Windows XP Professional, you may be able to install new or updated printer drivers when logged on as a member of the Power Users group, depending on the components required by the printer driver.
        If the printer driver you want to use already exists on the print server, you can install it by selecting it from the Driver list.