Alternatively referred to as a web content editor, and HTML editor is a software application that allows a user to create, view, edit, and make changes to a web page. Below is a listing of some of the more popular and commonly used HTML editors available today. Many of these programs have free trials that allow you to try them before you buy, and some also are completely free editors.
List of HTML editors
- Amaya - An open-source HTML editor from the W3C which allows for WYSIWYG editing.
- Arachnophilia Editor - Free HTML editor that allows you to do almost everything including frames, drag and drop, CGI, Java, and much more.
- BBEdit - Innovative HTML editor for Macintosh users.
- Bluefish - An open-source HTML editor, mainly designed for programmers and developers, with support for numerous programming languages.
- Dreamweaver - Excellent and widely used HTML editor from the company Adobe.
- Flux - Flux is an advanced, non-template based HTML5 Web Design application.
- Hot Dog - Great program to help you create your first home page.
- HTML Kit - An HTML editor that can create web pages, as well as edit other types of text files.
- KompoZer - A free WYSIWYG editor that is designed to be easy for people to use.
- Microsoft Expression Web - A very easy and now free to use program that allows you to do everything within a WYSIWYG interface that also includes Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tools and the ability to preview in multiple web browsers.
- SiteSpinner Cloud - A good free WYSIWYG HTML editor.
- Wordpad or Notepad - Both programs come with Windows and can be used to create your web page by typing in the source code (which you can find in our HTML help section) and saving the file (as .htm). While this is harder to do, this is completely FREE and you do not have to download anything. To run these, either click on file and run, or click Start then run, type either WordPad or notepad, and press enter.
I want to be a web designer, which of the above programs should I use?
For most companies just having a strong understanding of HTML and how to write the code with and without an editor is more than enough. However, today most companies are also using the Adobe Dreamweaver editor as their primary editor. So, learning and knowing Dreamweaver is only going to put you ahead of anyone else competing for the same job.