How do I prevent Messenger pop-ups?
Disable Microsoft Messenger
Note: Disabling the Microsoft Messenger will not cause any problems with MSN Messenger. This service is commonly used to distribute text messages between computers and commonly only used in a business to distribute messages between employees.
To disable Microsoft Messenger service, follow the steps below.
Windows 2000 and XP users
- Click Start, Control Panel, and open the Administrative Tools.
- Within the Administrative Tools window, open Services.
- Locate Messenger and double-click the icon to open Messenger Properties
- Within the Messenger Properties, set the Startup type to disabled and click the Stop button.
- Click the Apply button and close out of all windows.