Prevent a forgotten password in Windows XP
Prevent a forgotten password in Windows XP.
Microsoft Windows XP Home and Professional includes an option that enables users to create a floppy diskette that enables them to access the computer in the event of a forgotten password. Below are the steps required to create this diskette.
Tip: If you do not know the password and have not created this diskette follow the steps for a forgotten password.
Creating the forgotten password diskette
- In Microsoft Windows open Control Panel.
- In Control Panel open the User Accounts window by double-clicking the User Accounts icon.
- In the User Accounts Window in the top left Related Tasks section click Prevent a forgotten password.
- Insert a blank floppy diskette into the computer and click Next.
- Type the password for the user you are creating the diskette for and click Next.
- Wait until the diskette has completed the process of being created and then store the diskette in a place you will remember.
Using the forgotten password diskette
If you have forgotten your Windows XP password, however have created a forgotten password diskette earlier to use the diskette follow the below steps.
- At the Windows XP login prompt when the password is entered incorrectly click the reset button in the login failed window.
- Insert the password reset diskette into the computer and click Next.
- If the correct diskette Windows XP will open a window prompting for the new password you wish to use.