How do I remove a misspelled word from spell check?
All programs that have a spell check feature can add words into a custom dictionary. This feature allows the spell to recognize new words as correctly spelled words. Unfortunately, words that are really spelled improperly can also be added causing them to no longer be recognized. To remove any misspelled words or any other added words follow the steps below.
Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, FrontPage
All Microsoft programs rely off the custom.dic file as the default location to store any added words. Although this file can be edited in other programs or through one of the other Microsoft programs listed above the steps below are how to edit this file using Microsoft Word.
- Open Microsoft program.
- Click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Spelling & Grammar tab.
- Click the Dictionaries button.
- Select CUSTOM.DIC if not already selected and click the Edit button.
- Locate and remove the word and then save the file.
Tip: Users of Word 2007 and later can access the Options window by clicking the large icon in the upper left-hand corner, and then Word Options in the bottom of the window that appears.
- Open the Spellcheck feature by clicking the spellcheck button or by clicking Tools and Spellcheck. If you're in a blank document or a document with no misspellings you may need to create a misspelling so this window will remain open.
- Click the Options button.
- Click the Edit button.
- Locate and highlight the word you want to remove and click the Delete button.