How do I crop an image or picture?
Cropping an image allows you to cut out any portion of the image you don't like or make an image smaller. This document contains the steps performed to crop an image in each of the major image editors. To the right is a visual example of a large image, such as an image scanned into the computer being cropped to a smaller image.
If you would like to keep everything in the image but make it smaller you want to resize the image.
- Open the image in IrfanView
- Click the mouse and drag a box around the section you want to crop.
- Click Edit and then Crop selection
- Open Google Picasa and browse to the image location and double-click the image you want to crop.
- Once the image has been opened click the Crop button.
- Either drag a box around the selection you want to crop or click 4 x 6, 5 x 7, or 8 x 10 if you're wanting to crop the image to a hard copy image.
Microsoft Paint users
Microsoft Paint does not have an easy to use crop feature like other image editors. However, with a few extra steps Microsoft Paint users can still crop images.
If the image is similar to the above example, with white or empty portions on the right and bottom of the image, follow these steps. Use the image grabbers on the bottomr-right corner of the image, and click and drag the image up to the left until you have only the image selected and then let go.
If you want to crop a portion of the image that is not on the top left of the image or you want to crop any other portion of the image follow the steps below.
- Open the image in Microsoft Paint.
- Click on the select tool and drag it around the portion you want to crop.
- Once selected click Edit and then Copy.
- Click File and click New.
- In the new image click Edit and click Paste.
- Finally, save the cropped image as a different name or as the same name if you want to overwrite the other file.
- Open the image in The GIMP.
- Use the rectangle marquee to select what portion of the image you want to crop.
- Click Image at the top of the image tool bar.
- Click Crop Image.