Change browser download settings for .PDF, .DOC, or other file
Below are the steps, in each of the major Internet browsers, to change how they behave when opening a .PDF, .DOC, or other external file.
Tip: In addition to the steps mentioned below, with all browsers you can also right click any .PDF link and choose the option to Save or Save as to save the .PDF file.
Internet Explorer users
Not available. Suggest using above Tip.
Mozilla Firefox users
- Open Mozilla Firefox
- Click Tools and then Options
- Within the Options window click Applications
- Select the Content type you wish to adjust. For example, if you want to change how a .PDF file opens in Firefox, select Adobe Acrobat Document.
- In the Action section, change the action to how you wish to open the file. If you want to download .PDF files instead of opening them, select Save file.
- Open Opera
- Click Tools and then Preferences
- In the Advanced tab click Downloads
- Locate and highlight the file extension you wish to adjust. For example, pdf (or application/pdf). Tip: You can sort these columns.
- Once highlighted, click the Edit button.
- Within the file type window, specify how you wish for the file to be handled.