How can I record sound from YouTube videos?
Use an online Service
One of the easiest methods of saving a YouTube video to an MP3 file is using an online service that will do all the conversion for you. Below is a listing of some of our favorite online YouTube to MP3 convert services.
Note: these steps are for only saving the audio not how to save a video of a YouTube.
How to use these services
2. Once this address has been copied, paste that URL into one of the below sites and click the download button.
Youtube to MP3 services
Use a software program
If you want to do the recording yourself or just record a segment of a video we we suggest using the free Audacity program to record and save the audio. To do this follow the below steps.
- Download the free Audacity program from here.
- Once downloaded, run the program and install it onto the computer.
- Within Audacity click Edit and then Preferences. Within the Preferences window, under the Recording section change the device to your sound card. Do not use "Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input", or any microphone (this includes a microphone that may be on your webcam).
- While still in Preferences change the channels to 2 (Stereo) if available under channels. Using these settings you'll get the same quality of sound you hear over the speakers.
- Click Ok once these changes have been made.
- Finally, in the drop-down box change it from the default Wave to What U Hear.
- Open the YouTube video you wish to record the audio from. Unless you have a fast connection and YouTube is responding well we suggest getting the video fully loaded before recording it.
- Once loaded and ready to be recorded in Audacity, click the record button (red circle), switch back to the YouTube video and click play. As the video is playing you should see action on the sound wave as it's playing. Once done hit stop in Audacity.
Tip: Doing it this way will inevitably cause a section at the first of the sound file that's blank. To remove this section of blank audio, highlight it by clicking and dragging your mouse, and then press the delete key on your keyboard to delete it.
- Finally, once you've completed the above steps click File and choose either "Export as MP3" or "Export as WAV" depending on if you want to save the file as a MP3 or WAV file. If this is the first time you've used Audacity you'll need to install LAME MP3 file support. Additional information about doing this can be found in the below section.
Getting MP3 support
- In order to save the file in MP3 format you will need to get LAME for Audacity from the LAME for Windows download.
- Once downloaded and installed, click File and then "Export" and then select "MP3" or "Export as MP3".
- Once MP3 format has been selected you'll be prompted for the location of the LAME file, point to the lame_enc.dll file, which if you used the default settings will be at: C:\Program Files\Lame for Audacity. If you extracted a compressed file, it will be located in the extracted folder.