Can you clean a computer keyboard in a dishwasher?
Yes, a computer keyboard can be cleaned in a dishwasher. However, we are un-aware of any manufacturer that recommends this method as the way to clean their keyboard.
Cleaning a keyboard this way will void any warranty on the keyboard and may even damage or destroy the keyboard. We would only recommend this if you have already tried cleaning the keyboard the traditional way or have spilt a drink into the keyboard that is too extensive to clean the traditional way.
Finally, this suggestion is only for a standard keyboards. Do not do this with a laptop, laptop keyboard, or other electronics.
Below are the steps you must follow if you want to have the best outcome for your computer keyboard when cleaning it in the dishwasher.
- Make sure you've got a spare keyboard. You must wait at least a week (7 days) before the keyboard can be used again after it's been washed, therefore unless you do not plan on using your computer for a week you'll need a spare.
- Do not use any dish soap.
- If your dishwasher has multiple settings, make sure it's a rinse only. Do not use a heavy wash, pots, and pan setting, or any heated drying settings. Any extensive heat will destroy the keyboard.
- Wash the keyboard on the top rack only.
- Do not put anything else in the dishwasher except the keyboard.
- Only try this if your computer keyboard is plastic.
- If you want a more extensive clean under the keys remove each of the keys and wash just the keyboard.
After the keyboard has been washed, shake it to allow excessive water to drain out. Then tip the keyboard upside down so it is laying on the keys, and let the keyboard dry for seven days.