How can I hide or delete the Windows desktop Recycle Bin icon?
How can I hide or delete the Windows desktop Recycle Bin?
To hide the Windows Recycle Bin follow the below steps for the version of Windows you're running.
Tip: Before hiding the Windows desktop Recycling Bin icon you may want to make Windows not send files to the Recycling Bin.
Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 users
- Right-click on the Desktop.
- Click Personalize.
- In the Personalize appearance and sounds window click the Change desktop icons link on the left-hand side.
- Uncheck the Recycle Bin box.
Microsoft Windows XP users
- Download and install Windows TweakUI.
- Open TweakUI and click Desktop as shown in the picture to the right.
- In the Desktop section uncheck the Recycle Bin box
- Click Ok.
Removing the Recycle bin through the Windows Registry
Caution: Before editing or changing anything in the Microsoft Windows Registry it's recommended that you backup the Registry. We also highly recommend that anyone new to the registry become familiar with all the Windows Registry basics.
- Click Start, Run, and type regedit and press enter.
- Navigate to the below registry location.
- Find and delete the below registry key.
- See the Recycle Bin definition for further information and related links.