How do I edit a PDF file?
Tip: PDF files are for viewing not editing, if you have the original file use it instead of following any of the below suggestions.
Note: If you need to copy text from a PDF that has been scanned see our how to copy text from a scanned PDF document.
We recommend PDF files be converted to a DOC, ODG, RTF or other file format before editing them. After the file is edited, it can be saved as an updated PDF file. Below are the steps for converting a file using a software program and online.
Free tools to edit PDF files
We highly recommend the Oracle PDF Import Extension for OpenOffice Draw and PDFill as free tools for editing PDF Files. We found PDF Import Extension to be the most useful free program because of its ability to convert almost any PDF. Also, PDFill can convert images contained in your PDF into vector images, and edit PDF objects. It is available for all major platforms, including Mac. PDFill can come in handy when you want to work with form fields, decrypt a PDF, and perform other features not available in the PDF Import Extension.
To edit a PDF file using the PDF Import Extension follow the steps below.
- If you don't already have OpenOffice installed on your computer. Download and install OpenOffice. This is a complete suite of Office products including OpenOffice Draw.
- After installing OpenOffice run the PDF Import Extension.
- Next, Open OpenOffice Draw.
- Once open, browse to the PDF file you want to edit and open the file.
- After the PDF file has been open, edit any text field by double-click the text. If you want to add new text, click the Text link at the bottom of the window, and then click the cursor on where you want to add text.
- Finally, after you have finished editing the file click the PDF link to export the file as a PDF.
Although this is a fantastic free solution for editing a PDF, the PDF Import Extension does have some limitations. It does not currently support PDF forms, table conversions, and decrypting protected files. If you are running Microsoft Windows, many of these limitations can be avoided by also using PDFill.
Below are the steps to edit and otherwise manipulate a PDF file using PDFill.
- Download and install PDFill.
- Open the PDFill PDF Editor if you want to edit a PDF file or the PDFill PDF Tools if you want to encrypt, decrypt, merge, add headers, add PDF, or perform other quick tasks to a PDF file.
- If you are editing a file, after PDFill PDF Editor is open click File, select Open New PDF Project, and browse to the PDF file you want to edit.
Tip: It may take several minutes to convert a PDF file and online services do not convert password protected files.
There are several online tools that can convert your PDF files. Because it is easier to edit a PDF as a Word file, without using the software tools mentioned above, we recommend the PDFtoWord converter by Nitro PDF Software.
Non-free tools to edit PDF files
Finally, if you edit PDF files daily and the above solutions are not sufficient there are also plenty of commercial PDF editors. Unfortunately, many of these programs can cost several hundred dollars.