Chat is a text-based communication that is live or in real-time. For example, when talking to someone in chat any typed text is received by other participants immediately. This is different from other text-based communications such as e-mail where it could be a couple of hours, days, or weeks to receive a response.
Below is a short list of chat etiquette that should be followed when chatting with others online.
- Behave the same way you would when talking to someone in real-life.
- Avoid chat slang.
- Try your best to spell all words correctly and use proper punctuation.
- Remember no one is perfect, spelling errors and other mistakes are common in chat.
- Do not WRITE IN ALL CAPS as it makes you appear as you're yelling.
- Do not send other chat users private messages without asking them first.
- Abide by the rules created by those running the chat.
- Additional information about Computer Hope's chat can be found on our chat section.