Disk Management is a Microsoft Windows utility first introduced in Windows XP as a replacement for the fdisk command. It enables users to view and manage the disk drives installed in their computer and the partitions associated with those drives. As can be seen in the picture below, each drive is displayed followed by the layout, type, file system, status, capacity, free space, % free, and fault tolerance.
How to open Windows Disk Management
- Click the Start button and access the Run option. You can also press Windows key + R on the keyboard to open the Run option.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Tip: In Windows 8, you can type "diskmgmt.msc" directly on the Start screen to access Disk Management.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Double-click on Administrative Tools if in Classic View or click Performance and Maintenance and then Administrative Tools if in Category View. Note: If you do not have admin rights to the computer this will not be available.
- Once in the Administrative Tools window double-click Computer Management and then click Disk Management under the Storage section.
- How do I setup a hard drive and partition in Windows?
- How to delete a partition in Windows.
- Computer hard drive help and support.