Short for Electronic Book, an eBook or e-book is a book published in an electronic format that allow instant access to a book by being able to download the book over the Internet. An eBook can be published in different file formats, for example, plain text, PDF, Rich Text Format, as image files, and others. On July 19, 2010 Amazon announced that it was selling more e-books than hardcover books. Below is a short listing of the many different places to find legal and free e-books.
Sites with free eBooks
- Project Gutenberg - A collection of over 16,000 free eBooks for online viewing as well as offline reading.
- Google Books - A free Google service with hundreds of thousands of free and purchasable books and magazines that can be searched.
- FreeTechBooks - Great collection of thousands of free computer, programming, mathematics, artificial intelligence, and related books.
- O'Reilly Open Books - One of the most recognized computer book publisher. O'Reilly opened a wide range of computer related books.
- BookBooN - Another great service where you can download hundreds of different Business, School Textbooks, and Travel books in PDF.
- 25 Free Computer Science Books - Great post that contains some of the best freely available computer science related books.
- Wikibooks - Excellent service by Wikimedia that brings a collaborative effort in creating books that can be edited and created by anyone.
- FreeBooks4Doctors - Great selection of free medical and medical related books.
- University for Free - Good site that allows you to search for any term and find related University books for free.
- Free High School Science Texts - Good place to find free and modifiable High School Science related books.