1. Alternatively referred to as a text editor, an editor is a software program that allows users to create or manipulate plain text computer files. There are several kinds of editors.
Examples of text editors
- Notepad, WordPad, = Microsoft Windows included text editors.
- TextEdit = Apple computer text editor.
- Emacs = Text editor for all platforms that is a very powerful text editor once you've learned all of its commands and options.
- Vi and Vim = Other great editors primarily used with Linux but also available with multiple platforms.
- Word = Word processor for Windows and Apple computers.
- Writer = Text editor and word processor.
- Edit = MS-DOS text editor.
- NEdit = X Windows text editor.
- Pico = Unix and Linux or variant text editor.
- Notepad++ = Our favorite free text editor, Notepad++ is a powerful alternative to Windows Notepad.
- TextPad = Our favorite shareware text editors.
In addition to the above text editors, there are thousands of other text editors available. Click here to open an external search for text editors.
2. An editor may also refer to any other program capable of editing any other file. For example, an image editor is a program capable of editing any number of different image files.