2. The term editor is commonly used to refer to a text editor, which is a software program that allows users to create or manipulate plain text computer files. They are often used in the field of computer programming.
Examples of text editors
- Notepad, WordPad, = Microsoft Windows included text editors.
- TextEdit = Apple computer text editor.
- Emacs = Text editor for all platforms that is a very powerful text editor once you've learned all of its commands and options.
- Vi and Vim = Other great editors primarily used with Linux but also available with multiple platforms.
- Word = Word processor for Windows and Apple computers.
- Writer = Text editor and word processor.
- Edit = MS-DOS text editor.
- NEdit = X Windows text editor.
- Pico = Unix and Linux or variant text editor.
- Notepad++ = Our favorite free text editor, Notepad++ is a powerful alternative to Windows Notepad.
- TextPad = Our favorite shareware text editors.
Tip: There are thousands of other text editors available in addition to the ones we've already mentioned. Click here to open an external search for text editors.