1. Alternatively referred to as a Return key, when referring to a keyboard, the Enter key is used to send the cursor to the next line or execute a command or operation. Most full PC keyboards have Two Enter keys; one above the right Shift key and another on the bottom right of the numeric keypad.
Where is the Enter key on the keyboard?
Below is an overview of a computer keyboard with the Enter keys highlighted in blue on the main keyboard as well as the numeric keypad.
Note: Apple keyboards have a "Return" key next to the keyboard and an "Enter" key next to the number pad.
What if the enter key goes to the next paragraph?
In programs such as Microsoft Word when you press the Enter key it may move to the next paragraph instead of the next line. In these programs to go to the next line press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Enter instead of only Enter.
What is the arrow on the Enter key?
Sometimes referred to as an elbow arrow, the arrow on the Enter key is demonstrating what will happen when you press the key, which is moving the cursor down to the next line and to the left.
How is the Enter key used and its function
The Enter key is most often used to return to the next line or to start a new paragraph. For example, when I press the Enter key now it starts the next paragraph.
Below are some other examples and places the Enter key is used on a computer.
- Return to the next line or starts a new paragraph in a word processor.
- Submit a form. For example, on all search engines when you enter what you want to search for you can press enter without having to move the mouse to the search button.
- Activate a button or other object. For example, when navigating with a keyboard, you can press tab until a button is highlighted and once highlighted press the Enter key to press the button.
- Open a web page after a URL has been entered into a browser. For example, you can type computerhope.com in the address bar and then press Enter to open the Computer Hope home page.
Practice using the Enter key
Below is a textarea field that can be used to practice using the Enter key. Use this interactive text are to place an Enter in the middle of the text and at the end of the line. In this example, if you wanted to start a new paragraph you would need to click at the end of the sentence and then press enter twice at the end of the text.
2. In general, enter or entering refers to when data or information is being placed (inserted) into the computer. For example, when searching for something in a search engine like Google, you are entering a query or set of words to find more information.