Alternatively referred to as scumware, malware is malicious software designed to change your settings, delete software, cause errors, watch browsing habits, or open computer to attacks.
Protecting a computer from malware
A computer can be infected by malware by visiting an infected website, downloading infected software, or installing infected software. Most antivirus programs can clean malware but it's also a good idea to run an anti-malware or malware cleaner such as Malwarebytes.
- My web browser has been hijacked.
- What is the difference between a virus and malware?
- How does a computer get infected with a virus or spyware?
- How can I protect myself while online?
- Computer security questions and answers.