1. Alternatively referred to as a video display terminal (VDT) and video display unit (VDU), a monitor encompasses a display screen for video images and casing that holds it. In its most common usage, monitor refers only to devices that contain no electronic equipment other than what is essentially needed to display and adjust the characteristics of an image.
Like most early TVs, the early computer monitor's were comprised of a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) and a fluorescent screen. Today, all monitors are created using flat panel display technology; like that shown in the image.
2. Monitor is a term to describe the process of viewing or watching over someone or something.
- Protecting children from harmful material and people on the Internet.
- How can I monitor my website's status?
3. Used frequently with machines utilizing punch card input, a resident monitor was system software that came before, but was very similar to an operating system.