1. Alternatively referred to as log, log off, log out, disconnecting, and sign out, sign off is a term used to describe the process of disconnecting from a network or what occurs when your connection is lost. For example, a user using a modem to connect to the Internet may sign off from the Internet to free up the phone line but still be able to use the computer.
- See the Windows logoff command page for additional information about this command.
- Information about the Linux command can be found on our logout page.
- Computer network and network card help and support
2. The term sign off is also used to describe the process of disconnecting from a network service such as IRC.
3. When in a Windows FTP session the disconnect command will disconnect from the current session. See the how to use ftp help page for information about disconnect and other FTP commands.
4. Finally, sign off is also a message commonly displayed when a user disconnects from a chat service. Most sign offs are witty quotes, sayings, or advertisements created by the user.