1. When referring to a processor, a CPU socket or processor socket is a connection that allows a computer processors to be connected to a motherboard. For example, the Socket 370 is an example of such a socket. In the picture to the right, is an example of what a socket may look like on a motherboard. Although there have been computers that used the slot processor, most computers today and in the past have used socket processors.
Above, is a short list of sockets and their description we currently have listed on our page.
- Computer CPU help and support.
- Computer motherboard help and support.
- What is the difference between a connector, jack, plug, port, and socket?
2. When referring to a programming language, a socket is a communication used between processes or communication between a client and server. One of the most widely used socket API or library is the Berkley Unix C library.