A technique used in computer games based of the Quake engine such as Doom 3, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Quake 4, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, etc. that allows a player to move faster than other players in the game if done correctly. Unlike speed hacks, strafe jumping is a part of these games and therefore is not considered cheating.
Although every game is different the basic steps on how to strafe jump are usually similar to the steps mentioned below.
- Press the key to move forward.
- While holding the key to move forward press the jump key and also at the same time press the right or left strafe key.
- While your character is in the air move your mouse slightly to look in the same direction as you pressed (right/left).
- When your character lands you must immediately jump and repeat steps two and three again.
- In order to strafe jump you must be pressing the strafe key and not the turn key, which some games may default the left and right keys to.
- Your character must immediately jump when it has landed if it walks or runs at all it will decrease the overall speed.
- This maneuver does take a lot of practice to perfect.
A great map to practice strafe jumping on in Quake 3 is Strafe Jump Training 2 by Noskey a Defrag mod map.