1. Task is a term used to describe a software program or section of a program that is running in a multitasking environment. Tasks are used to help the user and computer identify between each of the programs running on the computer.
- Microsoft Windows users can view currently running tasks using Task Manager
- Use the tasklist command to list the currently running tasks in Windows from the command line and taskkill to kill any running task.
- Linux and Unix users can view top running tasks using the top command.
2. In general, task is also used to describe a step or assignment in a list of other steps or assignments.