A write error is an error that occurs when data cannot be written to a diskette, disc, or disk drive. Below are some different examples of why you may get a write error when attempting to write information.
Causes of write errors
- If you are writing information online, write errors can occur if your computer looses connection or times out.
- You do not have the proper permissions. For example, if you only have read rights you can read but not write any new data.
- When attempting to write (burn) information onto a recordable disc that is dirty, full, or scratched.
- Media is failing or bad. For example, if the hard drive is failing or has multiple bad sectors you will receive write errors.
- Media does not support write. For example, you cannot write information to a CD-ROM disc.
- With a floppy disk or memory card, you may receive a write error if the diskette is write protected.