Name: Roger Needham
Born: February 9, 1935, Sheffield
Death: March 1, 2003 (age 68)
Computer related contributions
- British computer scientist. Known for BAN logic; Tiny Encryption Algorithm; XTEA.
- Developed the Burrows-Abadi-Needham logic for authentication, generally known as the BAN logic.
- His Needham-Schroeder (co-invented with Michael Schroeder) security protocol forms the basis of the Kerberos authentication and key exchange system.
Honors and awards
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire.
- The British Computer Society, in 2004, established an annual Roger Needham Award in Needham's honour.
"An improvement is something your program will not work with and a bug fix is something it will not work without."