Question: How many bytes in a megabyte?
There are 1,000,000 bytes in 1 megabyte
For every one Megabyte (MB) there are 1,000,000 Bytes (B).
Note: In the past computers only used base 2 (binary) for file sizes. However, in December of 1998, the IEC introduced a new system that uses the metric system, so sizes that use prefixes like 'kilo' are equal to 1,000 and not 1,024.
There are 1,048,576 bytes in 1 mebibyte
For every one Mebibyte (MiB) there are 1,048,576 Bytes (B).
With a total of 1,000,000 bytes it is relative to the values shown below.
- 1,000,000 Characters (8-bit character)
- 200,000 Words (five character words)
- 208.16 Pages (full single-spaced plaintext page)
- 74.87 Word Documents (full single-spaced Microsoft Word file)
- Byte (B)
- Megabyte (MB)
- Mebibyte (MiB)
- How many megabyte in a byte
- How much is 1 bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, etc.?
- How to find available hard drive space.
- How do I determine the size of a file or folder?