Computer Easter eggs
An Easter Egg is a term that refers to an undocumented feature or novelty that is in a program that the makers of that program placed in the program for additional fun and credits. Easter Eggs are in no way destructive to any software or hardware within the computer and are usually meant for something unique and fun.
Program Easter Eggs
Below is a listing of various Easter Eggs found in programs.
- Electric Cat - Press and hold Ctrl+Alt and click on the eye on the tool bar.
- Merlin Lives - Press and hold Ctrl+Alt, click on the arrow on the layers box, and choose palette options.
- Squid Alert - Click your logo's manufacturer or logo of faxworks. When the about screen comes up, press and hold Shift+Ctrl and left click on the world until a new picture comes up.
- Excel 97 Flight Sim - In a new worksheet, press F5. Type X97:L97 and press enter, press the Tab key once. Press and hold the Ctrl+Shift keys and click the Chart Wizard toolbar button, Note you must have Direct draw installed for this Flight Sim with Credits to work. To fly, press your hold right to go forward/faster forward, or press and hold the left to backwards or to slow down.
- Credits - In the Microsoft Front Page Explorer, press and hold Shift and go into help and about 3 times, pressing ok 2 of those times.
- Sex in Spell Check - Type "zzzz" without the quotes and press the Spacebar to get the red wavy line to indicate it is spelled incorrectly. Then run spell check and see what it suggests as an option.
Game Easter Eggs
- Cow Jokes - Start a new game, visit the cows on the eastern part of town. Click on a cow a couple times until something happens, repeat the process and you will get something else, then will repeat thereafter.
- Programmer's Head - Warp to the last level; Type idclip, run through the daemons face and shoot the head to win the last level an alternate way.
- Lara and no clothes - During the "Tunnel" round, type "kkooii" at any point, then draw again. Lara will then drop the guns, as well as all her clothes.
- Lara turning into a monster- Get to level 3 and turn around 5 times, shoot 8 times with the shotgun, jump up 3 times, minimize the Tomb Raider 2 Window, 'dive by with insert 4 times, type in Alt+Tab+Scary, run into a wall and Lara should then turn into a giant dragon.
- Hidden Song - Press enter, type in "disco", and press enter again.
Other Easter Eggs
The below easter eggs have only been tested with the Palm Pilot and Palm Pilot Professional
- Credits - Go into the Memory app, hold the stylus on the "System v. 1.0.2" text in the upper left corner, press the scroll-down button
- Dos Error Message - In the Giraffe typing game, hold the stylus in the upper right corner, press the "page down" button.
- Guys in tuxedos - Hold the stylus in the lower right corner of the display area, press page up.
- Dancing hula tree - Hit the Help button, then draw the "#" character.
OS Easter Eggs
- Joke - Type msd from the DOS directory (this does not work if in Windows directory); select help, then about and press F1. Note that any DOS after 6.2 (or Windows 95 or later) this Joke will not work.
- Picture or Bear - Hold Ctrl+Al+Shift and continue holding through the remainder of the steps. Go to Help from Program Manager and select "About Program Manager." Double-click on one of the four colors on the Windows flag at the upper right hand portion of this window. Repeat the above steps twice, clicking on a different color each time (still holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift). The Windows flag should begin waving. Repeat the above steps once more and you should then get a picture of a person and their name, or possibly a bear. To get the bear, the process sometimes needs to be repeated several times.
- Windows 95 Main Easter Egg - Note: ALL the following are case sensitive and is typed without the quotes! On the desktop, right-click on the desktop and select New folder. Name the folder "and now, the moment you've all been waiting for" and press Enter. Right-click on the folder again and type "we proudly present for your viewing pleasure" and press Enter. Right-click on the folder again and rename it to "The Microsoft Windows 95 Product Team!" and press Enter. Open the folder to see the Easter egg.
- Various Volcanoes - For this to work, you must have Windows 95 OSR2. Right-click on the desktop, click Properties, then click on the Settings tab. Choose 3-D text as the screen saver and click on Settings. In the text box, type "volcano" and click OK.
- Hide the Start button - Press Ctrl+Esc, let go and press Esc, press Alt+- (minus). Move the arrow up to Close and press Enter. Once the start has vanished, to get it back, press Alt+Ctrl+Del, end task Explorer, which will bring up your Shutdown window. Press your Esc key once and wait. It will then bring up a message saying that Explorer is not responding. Press Cancel and your Start should be back. If, by some chance, it is not back, press Alt+Ctrl+Del two times or until it reboots. Once it starts back into Windows, the Start will be shown again.
- Various Volcanoes - For this to work, you must have Windows NT. Right-click on the desktop, click Properties, then click on the Settings tab. Choose 3-D text as the screen saver and click on Settings. In the text box, type "volcano" and click OK.